Help me choose parts for new build!

Danituss

Ok guys im building a computer for friend with ~1000e budget, almost purely for gaming, so im wondering if the parts i've chosen are compatible with each other and nothings bottlenecking anything and would appreciate help! thanks. :)

So here are the parts:

CPU: Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge 3570K
GPU: GeForce GTX 660 Ti
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance Performance 2 x 4 Gt
MOBO: ASROCK Z68 Pro3 Gen3 Z68
PSU: OCZ ZS Series 550W
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120 Gt
HDD: got 1tb external firewire hdd
Case: ADVANCE Hunter X
CPU Cooler: Antec H2O-620
Optical drive: LITE ON DVD±RW 24x

spirit

Staff member
The parts you have chosen are good.

Get a higher wattage PSU though, Corsair CX 600 or OCZ ModXStream 600W would be good, and a better Z77 board, such as an ASUS P8Z77-V board or a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H or a Z77X-D3H.

Get a better case too, Carbide 300R is a great case for the money.

Danituss

The parts you have chosen are good.

Get a higher wattage PSU though, Corsair CX 600 or OCZ ModXStream 600W would be good, and a better Z77 board, such as an ASUS P8Z77-V board or a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H or a Z77X-D3H.

Get a better case too, Carbide 300R is a great case for the money.

okey.... changed mobo to GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H and case to Zalman Z11 Plus and psu to Corsair CX 600 so i should be okey? :)

spirit

Staff member
You should be fine. :)

Yeah the 660 Ti would run on the 550W unit, it just doesn't give a lot of headroom, the CX 600 would be better.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
You should be fine. :)

Yeah the 660 Ti would run on the 550W unit, it just doesn't give a lot of headroom, the CX 600 would be better.

don't think so, the 660ti doesn't use much power as I read. You should be fine with enough headroom if you take 550watt. Also the ivy bridge doesn't use much. If you can get a XFX 550W, that would be great.

Danituss

well about the PSU, my friend bought CX 600 today and Kingston HyperX Genesis 2x4gb too.. dunno if they are better or worse than those vengeance but at least they should be fine i think.. and then he got the DVD drive too.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would personally stay away from those sealed water cooling units,Having owned two before (corsair H100) AND CoolIT Eco...both have been utter crap....I say get a good air cooler.

Everything else looks good. :)

_Breach

Ok guys im building a computer for friend with ~1000e budget, almost purely for gaming, so im wondering if the parts i've chosen are compatible with each other and nothings bottlenecking anything and would appreciate help! thanks. :)

So here are the parts:

CPU: Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge 3570K
GPU: GeForce GTX 660 Ti
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance Performance 2 x 4 Gt
MOBO: ASROCK Z68 Pro3 Gen3 Z68
PSU: OCZ ZS Series 550W
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120 Gt
HDD: got 1tb external firewire hdd
Case: ADVANCE Hunter X
CPU Cooler: Antec H2O-620
Optical drive: LITE ON DVD±RW 24x

I'd recommend changing the motherboard to an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, it's around the same price as the Z68.

If you want to overclock your 3570k, do NOT get that board. It is not a good board for overclocking. Voltage adjustments are very broad with offset mode, LLC is non-existent and VRM's aren't strong, IMHO. The board would be fine for stock clock though.

I would also go with another SSD or just drop it all together. The main problem I can remember is that the speeds would be reduced within a month of normal/heavy usage, and they have stability issues. A recurring stuttering/instability is the most you will see with them, also they have a liking to lock up and then no longer able to be accessed.

If it were me I would also change the CPU Cooler to a Cooler Master 212 and change the case to a HAF 912.

Last edited: