HELP! New computer build problems.

SSMUFF

I am in the process of building a new computer. Since my last one I built is 5 yrs old I thought it was time to upgrade. Things have changed since then and I am behind on the know how of it all. The new set up consists of

ASUS M4A77TD MB
AMD P2 Dual Core 3.1 Black Edition
BFG 9800
Gskill DDR3 1600 - 4 GB
BFG 550 watt psu

I hooked up everything like I was told to and then came the power section. I installed the 24 pin to the MB and then the 4pin atx12v by the processor. When I did this the computer wouldn't even turn on. So I unplugged the 4 pin atx12v line and then tried starting it up. Well it started but no boot. Computer screen said no sync input but all the fans and drives were running.

What is going on?

pies

So it works when you unplug the power near the cpu?
Do you have a spare cpu you can test with?

SSMUFF

Correct the computer will turn on but not boot with the 4 pin atx12v unplugged. When the 4 pin is plugged in nothing happens.

Last edited:

SSMUFF

My hard drive was the only old part in this computer. It is a old ide style. Does it need to be set to master now that I have a sata dvd rewrite player?

pies

That won't stop the computer from powering up and going through post.
But yeah set the hard drive to master.
You may need to test the board and cpu.

SSMUFF

I guess from what I am reading is I need to pull the mb out and test on the box to see if it is bad.

SSMUFF

just talked with ASUS and they said the unit was DOA. On the phone with newegg about exchanging unit.

SSMUFF

cheap psu? BFG is not cheap and it is brand new. I did the paper clip test and all fans work great. ASUS told me it was DOA once I gave them my serial #. Also newegg rma'd it instantly.