Help on upgrading from XP to windows 7

Okedokey

Yes, install Windows 7 on a new HDD and slave your current drive. Another other PC should also alow you to do this. You can then access your drive and its files within Windows.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said before, find someone that has an XP install cd and follow the procedure I told you about. I've used that same process on multiple client computers to get it to boot into windows. Basically the process is doing a system restore from the recovery console. It will take literally less than 5 minutes to do it.

Okedokey

Like I said before, find someone that has an XP install cd and follow the procedure I told you about. I've used that same process on multiple client computers to get it to boot into windows. Basically the process is doing a system restore from the recovery console. It will take literally less than 5 minutes to do it.

Ah, i was under the impression he had tried that and it hadn't worked... my bad.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Question, you say you have Windows 7 disk? Is this a Upgrade/Retail or OEM?

Question, are you wanting to save any files from your XP install thats not booting?

Question, if the answer to the second question is no. Stop trying to boot to the harddrive/XP install. Boot to the 7 DVD and do a clean install.

AlienMenace

Is this a store bought computer, HP, Dell or other. They usually have their Recovery on a partition. At the beginning of start up at the bottom right of the screen, it usually says hit (f10) or some other (F) key to restore back to factory defaults.
And to upgrade to Windows 7 you have to buy the program and do a full install, this will take care of formatting (erase the hard drive). But, these other people need more information to help you out a lot better. Make and model of computer in question. What the error message says. And what not, more information, more help you will get.

gigabiteme

i think on my laptop it's f11 at start up and bingo a screen comes up to restore to factory settings- all data is lost but you have a fresh start just like the day you bought it- no disks or cd' dvd's involved-hp compaq laptop<-- way old---->just like me

Eric4753

Ok i got it working with the recovery cd so now that i want to put wimdows 7 on there should i wipe my hard drive clean?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You have to boot to the windows 7 install cd. Once in the install program, you choose to delete existing partitions and then repartition and then install 7. Once you choose to delete the existing partitions you will no longer be able to boot into XP. Backup any data before starting the process or you will lose it.

Okedokey

I would also run a check disk on that hdd, in case it is damaged, saves time reinstalling an os for nothing.

Eric4753

Ok well we finally got the thing booting up but there already a few problems so let me tell you the story basically. Ok so basically in 2008 - 2009 we bought a custom built windows xp media edition (64 -bit). Now the problem of it not booting up came up so we bought a cd off ebay that would fix the problem. It fixed the problem but it would not install windows media (64 bit) but wanted to install windows home edition. So we said ok and launched the pc. Now the pc won't reconize an ethernet cable or a speaker sound cable when we plug either one in. Before those problems we thought we should format the hard drive then upgrade to windows 7, but now we can't cause it wont reconize any ethernet or sound cable.... so can you help us?

Eric4753

So if i upgrade to windows 7 will my pc reconize the ethernet and sound cable again? Or is this a hardware problem?

You may be able to recover your system with help from the following website http://bootdisk.com/

This will enable you to create a boot system to start your machine and may (depending on the problem) enable you to recover data or restore/ repair it.

I suggest that you turn off your modem while running the repair for the safety of your systems security.

Terry

Eric4753

Johnny your not making any sense could you please explain what your wanting me to do? My guess is that you want me to do a clean install of windows 7 well we bought the upgrade version so i can't do that. So my problem is i still have windows xp and we cant get the speakers or the Ethernet to work. The computer plainly wont recognize them so we were told to reinstall the sound drive and LAN. I am now asking where do i get those so my pc will recognize my speaker and ethernet.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you give us the make and model of computer or what motherboard you got if its a custom built pc then we can direct you to the drivers.

Okedokey

In support of what John has said; if you're unsure about how to do that, do this:

Download PC Wizard from my sig. Install and run it. Go to FILE, SAVE AS and click OK.
Copy the contents of that text file into here.