help! Question to IT tech's

poppinfrsh

I have been wanting this for a long time and id be very glad if someone could give me a clear answer. When legit computer stores independent or like Geeksquad reformat the hard drive do they use legit windows that cost hundreds of dollars or is there like a special version of windows that they get for alot cheaper?
Some small stores charge like 40 bucks for a reformat but that doesnt even cover the windows cd. Are these stores using illegal copies or are there a cheaper way to come across these? thx for looking and appreciate the help

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
They have to use a legal version of windows or they could get into heaps of trouble. Either they will use the customers reinstallation media or they will make the customer buy a new operating system.

poppinfrsh

ooh ic thx for ur quick response but i have another question. So i know there are like student os's u can buy at colleges but are there any that are cheaper?
and how many computers can you install and register windows on with the same cd? I just want to really know the cheapest way to reformat someones harddrive and make profit. thx for the help :)

ceewi1

VIP Member
You can't install the heavily discounted student versions on customer PCs unless they qualify for the student discount. Most computers will have originally been sold with an OEM version of Windows. If so, there should be a sticker on the computer with the CD key. You can use any Windows CD of the same version to install with their CD key.

Alternatively, if the system is functioning before you format it you can use any of a number of programs to retrieve the CD key from the system before you reformat it. Even if it isn't, you can often use a boot CD to retrieve the key in just a few seconds (provided the Windows install isn't completely trashed).

If they don't have the CD key, and you can't retrieve it from their system (or they have an illegal version in the first place), they will need to purchase a new copy of Windows.

poppinfrsh

oooh! ic i was didnt know that you just needed the same os cd! wow thanks alot i have finally found the answer to my question! I will now look for the cd key retriever programs you have been talking about but are there any good recommendations that most pc techs nowadays use? once again thx alot i learned plenty!