Help the Noob :D

arethemad

My budget is about 300 to 400 dollars. Im needing some upgrades. I need your help on knowing what I need for the upgrades. I have access to ebay, so I can always get that reduced ebay price :p Ill put the things in order of what I want most

1. Im buying either a 200, 250, or 300 GB hardrive, so Im good for the space. My internet is fairly slow. Im going through Charter Digital and Im sharing the internet between 3 computers. My DL speed has reached a max of 113 kbps on one torrent and then on others has only been a max of around 80. Ive downloaded files with mozilla firefox at around 350 kbps max. What do I need to make it so I can get those faster speeds? Im looking for something around 400-500 kbps for torrents or more and alot more for mozilla downloads. What would I need for this?

2. I would like Wireless internet connection. Id just like to know what I all need to get it on the one computer. I dont know if it matters, but keep in mind that I have a router with three computers on it. If its only like 2 or 3 dollars more to get it on all 3, then thats fine, but otherwise, only on the one.

3. I have some 5.1 speakers. Id like 7.1 speakers with a big subwoofer. If I would need a different soundcard, then I guess Ill get one. Id either like the 7.1 set to have 6 or more items total. Thats what mine is right now. A central speaker, sub, and 4 other speakers. Id either like that or more. My soundcard is a Creative Soundblaster Live! 24 bit. If I need an upgraded one, thats fine. I listen to alot of music. Mostly rock, but different kinds. Acoustic, heavy, alternative. So Id really like some new speakers that are better.

Those are the things I want and in that order. If anyone else has some really cool computer things that they would like to suggest I get, then feel free. Thanks in advance for the help!!!

beriah

with that budget i dont think so just go for the hard drive, then see how much money u got then. Because with that money your not going to get what you want!

beriah

if u dont have any wireless stuff, then your joing to spend about 200-300 just getting the wireless. Then you want speakers too. Your going to have very little left for the speakers.

I hope i helped

suprasteve

250gb is probably the most cost-efficient size for a hard drive now. For wireless internet, get a $40 wireless router and wireless pci/pcmcia cards for all your computers. If your ISP tries charging more for multiple computers, clone your mac address in the router's options, that ought to work. You can get good surrounds for >$100 and I'd say stick with the card you have now unless you want to make the jump to a zs or x-fi

arethemad

suprasteve said:
250gb is probably the most cost-efficient size for a hard drive now. For wireless internet, get a $40 wireless router and wireless pci/pcmcia cards for all your computers. If your ISP tries charging more for multiple computers, clone your mac address in the router's options, that ought to work. You can get good surrounds for >$100 and I'd say stick with the card you have now unless you want to make the jump to a zs or x-fi

KK, thank you both very much. Any ideas on getting my DL speed and internet in general faster? Or do I have to get a different, faster provider? Thanks again

suprasteve

that is most likely a provider issue, if you were supposed to be getting in the dozens of mbps, it could be one of your nic's, but I seriously doubt it, especially since they all run at about the same speeds