Help with wireless network

CmoAMD

I bought my mom a modem/router in one because its what she needed for the house. I set it up and it works fine the internet is up and running. I then bought her a USB wireless adapter for the other desktop to connect to the internet, and that works as well.

The thing is, that the desktop A - the one where the modem/router is connected to just shows the modem as a modem, it doesnt let me set a username and password for the wireless part of it, so anyone can join it. The other desktop B has connected to it via the USB adapter, not thru a named network or anything.

I tried going thru the "Wireless Network Setup Wizard" in control panel but I still dont have a wireless account on desktop A where I can set a password and such. How do I do this?

Thanks guys hope I made sense.

james201

hi, right first what modem is it, and secondly, i would reccomend reading the manual. You will probably be told to plug your ethernet cable in to your computer and router, and then direct yourself to 192.168.1.1 in internet explorer, here you can begin setting up your network. First of all i would reccommend settting some security up, to begin with, make sure you have a WPA PSK password, as WEP is easily hacked these days. remember to use about 60 characters and letters ( remember to copy it into a notepad or something.

Then, unplug the computer from the router/modem in everyway; ie no usb. Then navigate to your network connections ( start > control panel > netowork connections ) in here double click your wireless card, in here, you should get the name of your router, generally the make/ model of it. Finally, double click this, and copy and paste the code which you set up earlier :)

hope this helped

James

brian

VIP Member
hi, right first what modem is it, and secondly, i would reccomend reading the manual. You will probably be told to plug your ethernet cable in to your computer and router, and then direct yourself to 192.168.1.1 in internet explorer, here you can begin setting up your network. First of all i would reccommend settting some security up, to begin with, make sure you have a WPA PSK password, as WEP is easily hacked these days. remember to use about 60 characters and letters ( remember to copy it into a notepad or something.

Then, unplug the computer from the router/modem in everyway; ie no usb. Then navigate to your network connections ( start > control panel > netowork connections ) in here double click your wireless card, in here, you should get the name of your router, generally the make/ model of it. Finally, double click this, and copy and paste the code which you set up earlier :)

hope this helped

James

just going to point something out. for WPA psk you dont need to make it 60 characters, in fact 10 should work if it is random letters numbers and symbols. The only way to hack WPA is using dictionary attack. so if it is not in the dictionary your good.

CmoAMD

hope this helped

James

Its a Motorola Surfboard
theres no manual just a CD setup that didnt even do much to be honest
it gave me 4 of those long codes to use I guess for others to connect to me but I dont see where to use it.
the computer is not recognizing a router, as if its not there

james201

60 is a lot safer, and i would also recommend using alt code, these are very useful, as most of the time, they are not in the dictionary, just press and hold alt whilst typing in a couple of numbers on your numpad. this is if your computer and router support it .

The more keys the safer, the possibilitys with 10 is 1 in 1 000 000 000 000 where as with 60 or 64, the chance of finding is a lot lower,

about 100 to the power of 60, much higher :)

james201

mm, Are you sure this is also a router, most motorola surfboard models are simply just a modem, can you give me the exact model ?. If it is a wireless modem it will have an attena.

CmoAMD

yes its also a router, the other desktop and laptop are connected to it, and my iphone connects to it also.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122002

Ive never set a wireless network before ive always been straight modem, im just trying to get it to where I can set a name for the network along with a password, not sure where I enter the 60 digit codes at. The laptop and other desktop are connected straight to the router not even the computer, they connect to "motorola" I never set that name.

james201

in which case, you should be able to follow my previously posted instructions. remember to only plug in the ethernet cable between the computer and router to set it up

this is precise instructions for that specific modem

section A

1. Insert the SBG900 Installation CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.

2. Run the Installation Assistant. Choose Ethernet as your connection.

3. Connect the SBG900 to the cable TV system as described in Section A.

4. Plug one end of the Ethernet cable into the Ethernet port on the computer.

5. Plug the other end into the ETHERNETport on the SBG900 or an Ethernet hub or switch connected to the SBG900, as shown in the illustrated sample Ethernet LAN.The Installation Assistant tests the connection between the computer and the SBG900. This may take up to three minutes.

6. Restart your computer to obtain an IP address. Follow the instructions in the SBG900 User Guide.

Setting up wireless

Computers using the wireless connection require a compatible wireless adapter installed. The adapter type depends on whether the computer has a USB port, PCI slot, or credit-card-sized PCMCIA slot.To provide an initial wireless connection to your network and the Internet:

1. On each wireless client computer, install the wireless adapter hardware and driver software according to the manufacturer's instructions.

2. On each wireless client computer, set up a wireless adapter profile to “connect” the client to the SBG900. The procedure depends on your wireless adapter and computer operating system.In your initial profile, use the SBG900 default wireless Network Name

Adding security and stuff.

1. Start the SBG900 Setup Program on a computer wired to the SBG900 USB or Ethernet port, open your web browser (for example, Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator®).

2. Type http//:192.168.100.1and press ENTER to display the login window

3. In the User IDfield, type admin (case sensitive) and press TAB.

4. In the Passwordfield, type motorola (case sensitive) and click Log In to display the SBG900 Setup Program main window

This is direct from the manual, so this is your answer

thanks again
James

Last edited:

CmoAMD

in which case, you should be able to follow my previously posted instructions. remember to only plug in the ethernet cable between the computer and router to set it up

this is precise instructions for that specific modem

section A

1. Insert the SBG900 Installation CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.

2. Run the Installation Assistant. Choose Ethernet as your connection.

3. Connect the SBG900 to the cable TV system as described in Section A.

4. Plug one end of the Ethernet cable into the Ethernet port on the computer.

5. Plug the other end into the ETHERNETport on the SBG900 or an Ethernet hub or switch connected to the SBG900, as shown in the illustrated sample Ethernet LAN.The Installation Assistant tests the connection between the computer and the SBG900. This may take up to three minutes.

6. Restart your computer to obtain an IP address. Follow the instructions in the SBG900 User Guide.

Setting up wireless

Computers using the wireless connection require a compatible wireless adapter installed. The adapter type depends on whether the computer has a USB port, PCI slot, or credit-card-sized PCMCIA slot.To provide an initial wireless connection to your network and the Internet:

1. Connect the SBG900 to the system as described in Section A.

2. On each wireless client computer, install the wireless adapter hardware and driver software according to the manufacturer's instructions.

3. On each wireless client computer, set up a wireless adapter profile to “connect” the client to the SBG900. The procedure depends on your wireless adapter and computer operating system.In your initial profile, use the SBG900 default wireless Network Name

Adding security and stuff.

1. Start the SBG900 Setup Program on a computer wired to the SBG900 USB or Ethernet port, open your web browser (for example, Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator®).

2. Type http//:192.168.100.1and press ENTER to display the login window

3. In the User IDfield, type admin (case sensitive) and press TAB.

4. In the Passwordfield, type motorola (case sensitive) and click Log In to display the SBG900 Setup Program main window

This is direct from the manual, so this is your answer

thanks again
James

Ok im connected to the modem/router, and the other desktop has its USB wireless adapter installed, what does this next step mean?

"On each wireless client computer, set up a wireless adapter profile to “connect” the client to the SBG900. The procedure depends on your wireless adapter and computer operating system.In your initial profile, use the SBG900 default wireless Network Name"

The USB adapter on the other desktop has somehow already connected directly to the modem under name "motorola"

james201

right, my instructions are slightly out, miss out the bit about connecting like done in section A, i have removed this from the previous post to clear up confusion :)

to set up a wireless adaptor profile, you need to go to network connections ( start > control panel > network connections ) then right click your wireless adaptor, click the tab wireless networks, then add. Your network name shall be "motorola" if your other one is connected to that.

alternatively, to this, you can do what i suggested in my first post, and just double click your wireless adaptor in network connections, refresh your networks ( button on the right hand side) and then double click your wireless network; enter the WPA PSK code, and you should be away. this is the same process as the one above, just an easier and quicker way to do it :)

hope this is ok

James

Last edited:

CmoAMD

but I don't have a wireless adapter on the desktop how am I going to right click it?

I have it set up like this
Computer A - desktop that has modem/router connected to it
Computer B - desktop with wireless adapter so it can receive wireless signal from computer A
Laptops/iPhone - have built in wireless adapter so it's not a prob

I think the problem is that desktop A only identifies the modem/router as only a modem so it's not giving wireless network options as a router maybe?

I did the IP thing I see how to set that up I just gotta play with it and the WPA. I prefer the Windows username and password though instead of having 60 character keys for all devices incase others come over they can just enter the password

Let me know if I'm doing something wrong and I should have a wireless option showing up in network connections

james201

im slightly lost ... so you have a wireless modem.

is it not possible that computer B connects directly too the modem/router ?

CmoAMD

yes its possible, desktop B's wireless adapter automatically connected to desktop A's wireless/modem already

but

Im trying to make it so that the windows creates a username and password for the wifi, so when you turn on a wifi device it'll show available networks, such as "Desktop A" and you have to enter a password to connect to it.

here is a screen shot, how do I set that up
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/Cmoazz/networkconnections.jpg

phantomofrussia

after reading all of this, i think you are getting confused.

desktop A is not what your other computer connects to. desktop B connects to the modem/ router wirelessly. since your modem/router has an antenna.

"I should have a wireless option showing up in network connections "
what do you mean by a wireless option?