HL2 without Steam?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Is there any way to play Half Life 2 without the stupid Steam crap you must load? Even the freakin demo! I've thought about purchasing the game but this junk is the only reason I havn't. I swear, last time I tried to load it, it took well over an hour because of all the things it MUST download, unencrypt, etc etc... VERY annoying and I don't think it's worth it otherwise :mad:

Geoff

VIP Member
Im not sure what will happen if you install HL2 from the cd's without an internet connection, i seem to remember doing this for Counter Strike: Condition zero back when i had dial-up.

Archangel

VIP Member
you can disable the updates in steam.
then you would only have to unlock the game, and you're ready to go.

skidude

Me: Ok, finally done unlocking.... after 4 hours...

Steam: Preparing to play HL2

Me: All right, finally

Steam: Updating HL2

Me: wtf okay whatever it wont take that long, AOL is super fast (lol)

Steam: Estimated time remaining: 3 hours, 15 minutes

Me: .....................................

Steam: 3 hours, 20 minutes

Me: .....................................

Steam: We are sorry, the steam network is too busy to handle your request at the moment

Me: ......................................

Me: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! F**K YOU STEAM!! F**K YOU ALL AT VALVE!! I HOPE YOU DIE SH*THEADS!!

Me: (proceeds to throw HL2 out the window) PIECE OF $55 SH*T!!

Geoff

VIP Member
lol skidude, i remember when i had dial up i didnt know the game had to download a bunch of files before you could play it, so i tried to play it and it was stuck on "precaching files" for hours, and i saw someplace that there ws 12+ hours left to download. lol

Lamilia

The_Other_One said:
Is there any way to play Half Life 2 without the stupid Steam crap you must load? Even the freakin demo! I've thought about purchasing the game but this junk is the only reason I havn't. I swear, last time I tried to load it, it took well over an hour because of all the things it MUST download, unencrypt, etc etc... VERY annoying and I don't think it's worth it otherwise :mad:

can't you do a custom download or something i don't know much about downloads since i only downloaded like 4 things in my life but i think you can choose to do a custom download and only download the game i'm not sure if thats what you are talking about but if so try that.