Home network issue

Gordon.C

Hi,

I am still confused about building up a small home network.
Is it enough if I connect two computers with network hardware integrated with a crossover cable or do I need some router or anything else?

Thank you for reply

AMD Fanboy

If your network does not include a shared internet connection, no. You won't need a router. In it's simplest form, what a router does is connect two different networks. If all of the nodes of your home network are all within the same Network and you don't need to access any other networks, like the Internet, a crossover cable would be fine for 2 computers or a Hub and Straight Through cables for more than 2.

Gordon.C

Ok then there is this thing that when I connect those two machines with a crossover cable there is no sign of any interaction. The network icon in tray says the network cable is unplugged even if it is plugged.

cohen

You need to make sure it is a cross over cable not a network cable.

The icon should come up.

If you want both PCs on the internet, then you will need to buy a router.

LA1

both computers must also have the same network name and have the same network part of the ip address, the host part of the ip can be different. You do not need a router at this point like the poster above said. Routers that you buy for connecting to the internet also provide stately packet inspection and network address translation... two very important options. At no time do you ever want to connect just a hub to a plain broadband modem.