Home network issues

BarePaw

I recently bought a Linksys wireless router (model WRT54G) and installed it on my roomate's computer so I could connect mine wirelessly. Everything worked smoothly yesterday when I set it up. At first we were both able to connect without any problems. Today, neither of us could connect. I disconnected the router and plugged her computer directly into the modem. It connected and worked fine without the router. When I plugged the router in and set it up again, it wouldn't connect. Any ideas?

Fruitcake

you shouldn't have just unhooked it. all you probably needed to do was press the reset button in the back and then restart the modem by shuting it off and turning it on again. i have the exact same router and once in a while it will download updates off the web without you knowing it and then install them. the router stops working until you restart it like a computer that needs a reboot to finish an install of a program.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
And why shouldn't he just unhook it? There's no harm done.

What kind of connection are we talking about here? DSL or Cable? Do you know if it has a dynamic or static IP? Have you checked the settings of the router? How about of the computers?

Oddly enough, today I couldn't get online using our router. The problem ended up being with DHCP(inside the router, not assigning IPs to the computers)

BarePaw

I tried resetting it. That didn't fix anything. I can't even access the router's setup page through Internet Explorer. Running the setup CD again didn't work either. It gets most of the way though the setup and then says it can't connect to the internet.

BarePaw

Ok, I just unplugged everything and ran the setup CD again (for the 5th time) and it mysteriously works (for now).

JuggaloKillaz

if that happens the happen agian, hold the reset button on the router for 30 seconds and if that doesnt work, unplug the internet for the mean desktop and plug it back in. yea i know i sounds stupid buts its worked for me 3 times.

Markware17

You might wanna check and see if you are using the latest firmware for your router. There are 9 different versions of that router, so make sure you get the firmware for your version. That usually can save a lot of head smashing and cursing.

There are however many factors that can inhibit wireless connections, like sources of electromagnetic interference or crosstalk. If you have the computers right up to the router and it's still not working, then you can rule that out.