Home Network Questions.

I was just wondering about a few general things that I could do with some advice on.

I am firstly looking for a good free Antivirus software that is relatively quiet (Meaning it doesn't spring up loads of pop ups, that frustrates Dad) it provides really good security, not like AVG free, and it is simple and easy to use, and runs on a schedule on log on.

I am also wondering about opinions of software for the Workgroup, Homegroup and Intranet, I am currently trying out Spiceworks for management, and am using LogMeIn Free for computer remote connections. So I can log on to mum and dads pc if they have problems. Can someone explain how to use spiceworks for me? It confuses me. I want to be able to access the status of all my pcs

spirit

Staff member
Not sure about remote viewing software but if you want a good free AV that doesn't annoy with pop-ups and suchlike then I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials paired with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free. Those two would work fine together. Malwarebytes runs on demand unless you buy it but MSE can work on schedules.

Not sure about remote viewing software but if you want a good free AV that doesn't annoy with pop-ups and suchlike then I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials paired with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free. Those two would work fine together. Malwarebytes runs on demand unless you buy it but MSE can work on schedules.

Cheers VistaKid.

spirit

Staff member
Not entirely sure but you probably can, I don't see why there'd be anything stopping you.

spirit

Staff member
You need to make sure Windows Firewall is turned off on both machines ideally, or at least open up any blocked ports which Remote Desktop Needs. I think you also need to enable Remote Desktop connectivity in the system properties too.

Don't turn off the firewall, just allow the exception through it for RDP. I have a home fileserver that I connect to daily over RDP and it's on a workgroup. Should work just fine, if that's what you're planning to do.