Hooking a PC up to a TV.

FlyingPhone

Hello Computer Forum Community.

It's my first time posting on here so I might forget to list all the information, but I'll do my best.

The thing I am trying to do is to use a TV as a monitor for my PC (One I assembled yesterday with semi-good hardware)

My current TV isn't good, only as the old and trusty SCART (and ofcourse the Jack Inputs) as an input.

So I have been looking for a 'newer' TV that is capable of getting the signal from my PC + the audio.

My GFX Card in that computer is the;
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX.
From what I can see is that it has;
- 2x DVI
- 1x S-Video.

If I am mistaking, please correct me.

As I'm looking for a new TV, what kind of input must I be looking for?
(I don't care for DVI, the cheaper the TV the better, as long as it works :) )

Such a messy post, but hopefully you understand.
Reply for more information if required.

Regards;
FlyingPhone

techdragon

Well, one thing you can do is make sure you get a TV with S-Video inout as well as a 3.5mm audio input jack (the one on mine is next to the HDMI input). I have the same setup for my home server but it uses a D-sub connection instead of S-Video or DVI. Most TVs will have at least an S-Video, and many also will have a DVI which is suppose to be better quality.

Hope that helps! :)

tremmor

I have occasionally hooked up my netbook to the living room tv and just use the standard video plug. The tv has all the plugs as mentioned above. Some of the newer tv's support wireless also. From what i read.

FlyingPhone

It's just for occasional movies, slideshows of pictures or live streams.
It doesn't need to be HD quality.
As long as the video and audio keep synced without stripes in the picture, I'm content.

From what I've read here.
S-Video is the 'cheapest' of them all? :)
(ofcourse, later on you get VGA/DVI/HDMI)

Regards;
FlyingPhone