Hooking up router turns off my cable tv!

Jonesin31

Can anyone explain this because my cable company can't. I recently bought a new wireless router because a power surge damaged my old one. When I plug my Internet into the router, I lose picture on all tv's in my house as well as not having an Internet connection. However, if I plug it straight into my pc it works fine. I then got a new surge protector with Ethernet jacks in it and when I run my Internet through that and then to my router, the tv picture stays on and the Internet works fine. Any ideas on why the Internet would cut out my cable when plugged straight into the router?

JTM

Can anyone explain this because my cable company can't. I recently bought a new wireless router because a power surge damaged my old one. When I plug my Internet into the router, I lose picture on all tv's in my house as well as not having an Internet connection. However, if I plug it straight into my pc it works fine. I then got a new surge protector with Ethernet jacks in it and when I run my Internet through that and then to my router, the tv picture stays on and the Internet works fine. Any ideas on why the Internet would cut out my cable when plugged straight into the router?

I think this issue is because of MAC addresses. Dial in to your router and look for an option to clone a MAC address. You want to hit the CLONE MAC address button and / or enter your PC's MAC I believe.

Jonesin31

It's a linksys e3000. Why would running it through the surge protector make it work perfectly. Almost sounds like some sort of electrical issue doesn't it?

JTM

It's a linksys e3000. Why would running it through the surge protector make it work perfectly. Almost sounds like some sort of electrical issue doesn't it?

Sorry, I missed that part, it was late :cool: I would see if you could get your cable company to come out and troubleshoot.

tremmor

A surge in the house could be a bad thing. I think i would start checking voltages at the receptacle. Might want to check the breaker panel. check the wiring and tight. maybe reset the breakers one time. i would check the wiring at the receptacle. Im speaking strictly from a electrical standpoint. An inspection should happen. i would almost suspect a voltage drop somewhere.

Jonesin31

They did come out and couldn't come up with anything other than a 2.4ghz wireless camera I had hooked up. I unhooked it this morning and it still did it. They had to bypass my single wire return device outside because the power surge damaged it. They have not replaced that yet. Would not having the internet running through that do anything? I don't even know what that is for.

JTM

So I just re-read this again, and it seems like the new surge protector acts as a switch? So you're bypassing the router when you set this up with the new surge protector?

Jonesin31

No. It goes from wall to surge protector then to my router. Everything runs fine this way. I just don't want anything to get damaged if there is some electricity involved in a way it shouldn't be. I'd have never of guessed that the surge protector would fix it. I just happened to order one to protect my router because I have already lost two from power surges. Am I worrying about nothing?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like they may need to replace the wire return device outside, maybe the surge protector is acting like one and is letting everything work like it should. Only they can tell you what the device actually does.