How can I hook up Xbox 360 to Wireless modem?

cg1349

banned
My friend has a wireless dsl modem from Verizon. He's laptop is hooked up wirelessly, but we are trying to hook up his XBox 360 using ethernet cable. The wireless modem has 4 ethernet jacks. This is basically what we're trying to do:

[wireless dsl modem] ))))))))))) [laptop]
\
\
\
\
[Xbox 360]

The "))))" is the wireless signal to the laptop and the "\" is the ethernet cable from the modem to the Xbox 360. The Xbox can't connect to Xbox live, there is no IP address available. How can I fix this? Thanks.

That modem should have basic router functions if it's wireless, which means it should assign an IP address to any computer connected to it, wired or wireless... My guess is something's not configured correctly on the Xbox. Perhaps it's not set to get an IP address automatically...

That modem should have basic router functions if it's wireless, which means it should assign an IP address to any computer connected to it, wired or wireless... My guess is something's not configured correctly on the Xbox. Perhaps it's not set to get an IP address automatically...

Network settings on the xbox 360 are set to automatic, which means it should pick up IP Address, gateway, subnet..etc. on it's own. I tried adding a device to the network in the network settings of the laptop, but it only gives you the option to add a wireless device and not a device connected by ethernet cable. Somehow, the wireless modem is only sending out signals wirelessly and not from the ethernet cable. this can be fixed, i just don't know how.

Come on! Someone has to know how to fix this. Don't just read. Reply!

Last edited:
Back