How do I know if a video card is compatible with a MoBo?

Ocean Spray

I'm really confused on finding a compatible video card for a MoBo. What are the first parts I should look for when building a computer? I had i5 2500k as my processor and I'm going with 8GB of RAM(I assume all sticks are the same in any MoBo's?). I know how to pick out a MoBo that is compatible for my processor... BUT, what about video card? Thanks and if you can recommend any video cards for i5 2500k, please leave it here.

Macey

There's really not much difference other than the 7850 being at least slightly more expensive.

Depends on your budget.

Last edited:

Virssagòn

VIP Member
There's really not much difference other than the 7850 being at least slightly more expensive.

Depends on your budget.

oohh, there is enough reason to spend a little more money.
The 7850 is newer, got better drivers, uses less power, beats the hd 6950 in most situations.

Yeah, yeah. It costs maybe 20-30 dollar more.
I would go for the 7850 if I had the money.
And if you take a hd6950, be sure your psu can handle it.

spirit

Staff member
I'm really confused on finding a compatible video card for a MoBo. <snip> I know how to pick out a MoBo that is compatible for my processor... BUT, what about video card? Thanks and if you can recommend any video cards for i5 2500k, please leave it here.

To answer your question, pretty much any video card since about 2005 will work with an i5 2500K - because the video cards connect to the motherboard using PCI Express, and all motherboards since about 2005 have PCI Express. There are different generations, 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0, 3.0 being the latest and fastest, but they are all compatible with one another. Most boards and graphics cards are PCI Express 2.0, but the newer boards and graphics cards are 3.0.

There are suggestions for graphics cards above. Personally I'd take the 7850 over the 6950 as it's a bit faster, it's newer, it's PCI Express 3.0; and I think it's shorter in length.

Russ88765

If your motherboard has a pci-express lane any pci express video card will work with it. pci-e 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 are bandwidth related; so if your motherboard supports a lower number than your card has, the motherboard will downclock it to the speed it supports. The performance differences are not huge in this regard.