how do you disable xp's chose a username?

blahxyzblah

a few days ago my windows xp started asking me which user i wanted to log on in. i only have one user and it kind of annyos me. how do i disable this?

Geoff

VIP Member
Start > Control Panel > user Accounts > Change the way users log on/log off > De-select both options, then make sure you get rid of your password. Then when you start up your computer it will go right to your desktop.

blahxyzblah

geoff, i took your instructions but it still prompts me to type in a p/w and choose a username. i haven't set any p/w. when it tells me to type in a p/w i just press ok. when i went to change the way users log on/ff, i de selected both items, but it prompts for my p/w. i selected only the first one and it still promts for my p/w.... please help

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Tweak ui does do it.

You can also try this (courtesy Tech Recipes):

1. Click on the Start Menu
2. Click Run
3. In the open field type: control userpasswords2
4. Click OK
5. An User Accounts Dialog Box will open.
6. Select the Users Tab
7. Clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer checkbox
8. Select the Advanced Tab
9. If it is not already, clear the Require users to press Ctrl-Alt-Del before logging on checkbox
10. Press Apply
11. A dialog box will open asking you for user name and password
12. Input the information into these fields
13. Click OK
14. Click on Start Menu again
15. Open your Control Panel
16. Open User Accounts
17. Click Change the way users log on or off
18. If it is not already, clear checkbox for Use the Welcome Screen
19. If it is not already, clear checkbox for Use Fast User Switching
20. Click the Apply Options button
21. Reboot to see your results

OS Dragon

Start > Control Panel > user Accounts > Change the way users log on/log off > De-select both options, then make sure you get rid of your password. Then when you start up your computer it will go right to your desktop.
:huh: Here a simple option, Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on or off > Deselect "Use the Welcome Screen" > OK.

However, that will only work if there is only one user on that computer. Make sure you have no passwords for that account before-hand.

blahxyzblah

omg, i've tried everything already. i have not set a password for my computer, but it still asks for one! i've used tweakui to logon me on automatically, but that didn't work. i went to control panel>user accounts>change the way users log on/off, deselected both items. i put my comp on stand by and it prompts for my p/w.