How far can you overclock a Q6600?

bit4bit

It's 2.40GHz out of the box with 1066 FSB.

+ Roughly what speed could you overclock it to? Would it go up to about 3GHz, or are we looking more at 2.60-2.70 GHz.

+ I suppose a big part depends on the cooling so, what If I used this with it:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-017-AR

+ Would I be able to clock further with a water cooling solution or not?..I have noticed many people seem to have this cooler, so I'm guessing its pretty good?

Thanks

taylormsj

That cooler is a great cooler for the price, and if you have the G0 settping you can epect to get at least 3.4 GHz, if you have a good motherboard and powersupply

JLV2k5

I don't have much overclocking experience but I know with great cooling and other good components you can approach OCing the chip to 33% more than what its original stats are. This is max, remember, so don't try and jump to this number. Hope this helped.

bit4bit

Thanks,

That cooler is a great cooler for the price, and if you have the G0 settping you can epect to get at least 3.4 GHz, if you have a good motherboard and powersupply

So it would still be better to get a Q6600 and OC to 3.4, than to get a dual core which is 3.00GHZ anyway? The other thread in this section, most people were saying that the dual cores were better, because quad cores are somehow unecessary?

Baring in mind I'm looking to play games such as crysis, on fairly good settings, and I also use demanding CAD applications like Solidworks.

Am I the only one that finds buting new hardware extremely confusing? :confused: :eek:

taylormsj

I don't have much overclocking experience but I know with great cooling and other good components you can approach OCing the chip to 33% more than what its original stats are. This is max, remember, so don't try and jump to this number. Hope this helped.

What are you talking about, im rocking a 60 % over clock here and many others smash that barrier you talk about

JLV2k5

Yeah the 33% rule was from a while ago. I should not have posted about OCing because i dont have much experience with it.

bit4bit

....:eek:

And how stable is it? What kind of temps do you get?

D'ya reckon it is definately worth getting one of these over a dual core?
(I've been told it would be good for what I need, but the other thread in this section has thrown me off a bit, as most people said the dual cores were better)

Geoff

VIP Member
....:eek:

And how stable is it? What kind of temps do you get?

D'ya reckon it is definately worth getting one of these over a dual core?
(I've been told it would be good for what I need, but the other thread in this section has thrown me off a bit, as most people said the dual cores were better)
It was stable enough for a few benchmarks, but wasn't completely stable. The temps were running around 55-60C idle, and between 65-70C under load, and 70-73C under full stress test load. I decided to lower it down so I could run it at a lower voltage and completely stable, so I could run it without it getting over 65C.

I would recommend water cooling if you want to go that high, and yes I would recommend it over a dual-core.

bit4bit

Thanks,

Well, it certainly seems intuitive to me that it would be better than a dual core....that is, it will be better when more applications/games start supporting quadcore use....especially if you overclock...then each core is faster anyway....and in that case it can outperform the dual cores on single or dual core usage anyway. Plus the Q6600 is not at a very bad price either.

In your sig you have 3.6GHz...Is this running stabley for you?

If 3.75 GHz doesn't run stabley, even with water cooling, then I'd probably run it at the higest stable speed. If that speed happens to be 3.6GHz, as tested by you, would the fan I posted earlier be a sufficient enough cooling solution, even at high loads?...well I suppose if a fairly cheap fan has been good enough for you?...but do you still get high temps at 3.6GHz, and does it affect the performance in any way?

The reason I ask, is because the watercooling solutions I've looked at seem to be relatively expensive, and for the sake of +0.15GHz, I'd rather redirect the money elsewhere (plus I'd want it to be stable). 3.6GHz over FOUR cores still seems exceptional to me.

Thanks

jds21

how well could i overclock i Q6600 on a XFX nforce 680i-LT mobo with the Zalman CNPS 9700LED Copper heatsink... and a 750w power supply... i will also be running 2 overlocked 8800GT in SLI would this overclocking of the CPU strain the PSU?

Eternal Rest

I could only OC mine to 2.67 GHz does anyone know why? My specs are in my sig. Everyone else is getting there's up to at least 3GHz... Why does mine not get that high? I'm using the Nvidia control panel to overclock. When I try to go a little higher, my comp just locks up.

Kesava

I could only OC mine to 2.67 GHz does anyone know why? My specs are in my sig. Everyone else is getting there's up to at least 3GHz... Why does mine not get that high? I'm using the Nvidia control panel to overclock. When I try to go a little higher, my comp just locks up.

is your ram overclocked? check it, cos Oscaryu1 was trying to overclock and couldnt get very far at all. then he realised his ram was overclocked way too far.

also ive never used nvidia control panel.... is that just a software program? because it would be a lot more effective to overclock using the bios.

Kornowski

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];867295 said:
It was stable enough for a few benchmarks, but wasn't completely stable. The temps were running around 55-60C idle, and between 65-70C under load, and 70-73C under full stress test load. I decided to lower it down so I could run it at a lower voltage and completely stable, so I could run it without it getting over 65C.

I would recommend water cooling if you want to go that high, and yes I would recommend it over a dual-core.

lol, Those are some scary temps Geoff! :eek:

colt1911

The main thing that is holding your overclocking more back is your motherboard. The Nvidia chipsets just do not overclock well with a quad core with the exception of the new 780I series.

stevenson140

Do you guys think that I would be able to run a Q6600 at about 3.0 to 3.2 with air cooling. My case is a thermaltake armor with three 120mm fans and one 90mm fan. There is also a big airvent at the top. I will also be using a Zalman 9700 copper heatsink.

MatrixEVO

I have my Q6600 overclocked to 3.6GHz and it idles at 35c and under load I've seen 55c. I use an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, and Arctic Silver thermal grease. My voltage is at 1.45 or so, and it's stable. I also have my memory at 1000MHz with relaxed timings, and overvolted a little.

MatrixEVO

Do you guys think that I would be able to run a Q6600 at about 3.0 to 3.2 with air cooling. My case is a thermaltake armor with three 120mm fans and one 90mm fan. There is also a big airvent at the top. I will also be using a Zalman 9700 copper heatsink.

What motherboard would it be run on? Also, a good PSU is key to delivering consistent power.