How important is cache?

throntel

Hey, I'm getting myself a new CPU and I've desided to either go with the 3Ghz duo 4Mb cache, or one with 6Mb cache. I try to keep the costs down to a minimum, so I wonder, how big is the difference between having 4MB cache and 6MB, will it be noticeable?

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Depends very much on what the computer's used for, if they're both c2ds then the performance difference, in general, between 4 and 6mbs of cache will hardly be noticeable... in multimedia applications, file compression (winrar & whatnot) it may make a difference, but my guess is it won't have any SIGNIFICANT impact. I've never heard of a 6mb dual-core though, what are the CPUs that you're looking at?

throntel

I do use winrar at times obviously, to unpack files. But not enough to care, a few extra min there doesn't make a big difference to me. What I'm most conserned about is the gaming performance

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Well, that depends on exact models/steppings of the CPUs, as the steppings/minor architectural differences will, as far as gaming is concerned, probably make almost as much differences as the cache (4 vs 6 mb).

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Extra Cache will better help any redundant task performed, of which gaming is one. Like Hackapelite noted however, the performance gained with an increased cache isn't usually great, more relative is fab process, core arch., clock speed, etc.

Take into account the amount of cache when purchasing, of which more is better, but don't solely base a purchase on it or lend it too much sway.