How long does it take for you to put your computer together?

Vizy

Hey guys,

As it is 1 am right now and i am about to rebuild mine, i was just curious (and partly procrastinating) how long it takes for you guys to build up your comp. Tear it down, dust it out, dust all the parts, put everything back, a route the cables around.

Just curious.

gamerman4

to take everything out - about 20-30 mins
dusting,air duster - 5 mins
Rebuilding (plus wire management) - 30m -1h, maybe a little more if I want the wires hidden well.
Electric screwdriver helps a lot.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I've taken everything except the drives and motherboard out to clean it. Never thought to strip the whole thing down.

But I can build a brand new machine in about 45 minutes.

Hugh9191

I think I could put one together in 20 minutes, however if I wanted it done well I'd keep at it until I'm happy with the layout which could take a few hours (never timed myself doing it so I don't know!).

Gooberman

I've taken everything out of my computer cleaned every little part and put everything back in under 45 min lol i was determined

aviation_man

procrastination??? Who procrastinates when building their new build????? lol
It took me a few hours to do so (because I had to get a new PSU)
But yeah I didn't want to rush things like people previously stated^^

FairDoos

WTF Does Procrastinate even mean!? Hahaha

Vizy

Lol :D It's not a new build though, just a cleaning out and a reformat.

:eek:

So, i went to bed around 6 30 am, then my brother comes and wakes me up at 10, sometimes I just want to beat his ass. Anyways, i couldn't get sleep after, so...

Vista had a tough time installing. It kept hanging, then when it finally went forward, it told me that the dvd drive needs a driver (WTF!!!), then i just switched up the ide cable and it worked (TG), so it finally installed and now i'm downloading all those drivers. I learned my lesson, after I have all my stuff installed, i'm gonna image this thing.

PabloTeK

To put my rig together into a bootable form 25 minutes with a drill acting as a screwdriver :p To make it into a nice and neat state probably close to an hour!

footballstevo75

An hour for a decent build with proper wire management that won't cause heat issues and overall looks tidy.

That's what I bill when I build them, and usually is on par, sometimes more sometimes less, but generally really close to an hour.

edit-
Also I don't see the huge deal with an electric screwdriver? The threads are so short it doesn't seem like it would be to the point where it would save loads of time over a nice screwdriver.

aviation_man

To put something off, like "I'll do homework later after I go eat pie"
:p

So, i went to bed around 6 30 am, then my brother comes and wakes me up at 10, sometimes I just want to beat his ass. Anyways, i couldn't get sleep after, so...

This info is relevant.. :p lol

Vista had a tough time installing. It kept hanging, then when it finally went forward, it told me that the dvd drive needs a driver (WTF!!!), then i just switched up the ide cable and it worked (TG), so it finally installed and now i'm downloading all those drivers. I learned my lesson, after I have all my stuff installed, i'm gonna image this thing.

Oh, if it's just the regular cleaning then yeah, I procrastinate on that too:p

PabloTeK

Also I don't see the huge deal with an electric screwdriver? The threads are so short it doesn't seem like it would be to the point where it would save loads of time over a nice screwdriver.

Some of the cases I've used have had some downright stupid screw positions (i.e. right next to case sides, so a normal screwdriver gets in at an angle so I've had to necessitate the use of the rather long extension we have for the drill heads. It doesn't seem to save that large amount of time but sometimes it's saved my sanity! I think I'd add about 2 minutes of me swearing with a manual screwdriver normally...

Aastii

VIP Member
Before i got my new CPU HS i could do it in 20 minutes give or take a minute or 2, now though it is fiddly as hell, takes 35 minutes minimum to fiddle with the mobo tray, get it around the wires, get it on the processor in the first place...it is a good heatsink but fiddly as hell

bomberboysk

Around an hour, as i take everything out(mobo, psu, etc) and clean the dust and all out, reapply TIM to mobo, and cpu, etc.

Fatback

VIP Member
It took me 4 hours to build the system in my sig. I like to take my time and usually spend 2 hours on the cable management alone. At my shop where I have electric screw drivers and a nice work bench I can usually do it in 2 hours with decent cable management.