How Many Seconds Does It Take For Your Computer Boot Up?

speedyink

VIP Member
The only one I know off hand is my EEE, which takes 42 second from cold to windows 7 logon, about 55 seconds to a minute for the CPU to drop down (completely finished booting)

All I know is my desktop does it faster..I'll time it later

speedyink

VIP Member
Ok, desktop is 40 seconds to the windows 7 logon screen, 52 seconds fully booted. About 20-30 seconds of the booting was bios/post crap.

You get to the log in screen in 14 seconds? What system are you using to get a 14 second cold boot time? Do you have a Solid State Drive?

Hell, how does his bios/post last less than that.

I'm gonna start timing mine from the windows loading screen (so right after boot menu) to desktop...I'll get much better times :p

As for my EEE, I need to figure out how to get boot booster working on it's new hard drive...

Last edited:

JTM

I wonder if anyone here is in the "How many MINUTES does it take for your computer to boot up?" stage still.:)

2048Megabytes

Mine usually takes about 25-20 seconds to desktop. I wonder why y'all's bios take so long to long :confused:

Different basic input/output systems are on each motherboard. Some motherboards have a more efficient BIOS than others. What is your motherboard model Bob Jeffery?

WeatherMan

I just spent hours shifting all my OS installation to the front of my drive, defragging the pagefile, bootfiles etcetc, virus scanning ccleaning and general cleanup.

Im, 7 Seconds. SLOWER :D

I'm trying to make a decision.... I have a 320GB drive (60Mbps Transfer) and a 750GB drive (80Mbps Transfer) Newer drive...

the 750GB is partitioned into 2, one for the OS and the other for movies. The 320GB is used as a storage drive.

I did originally use the 320GB slower drive for OS and the 750GB unpartitioned for storage. Now that I'm booting from my partitioned drive my boot times are rediculous. This is with 3 startup programs, and a serverly modified services list. Defragged drives no temp files no system restore hybernation etc etc...

Is it better to stick my OS back on the smaller drive?

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

I did originally use the 320GB slower drive for OS and the 750GB unpartitioned for storage. Now that I'm booting from my partitioned drive my boot times are rediculous. This is with 3 startup programs, and a serverly modified services list. Defragged drives no temp files no system restore hybernation etc etc...

Is it better to stick my OS back on the smaller drive?

What is the exact make and model number of your hard drives? If we can find out the specifications of your hard drive we can find which one reads faster.

Last edited:

Gareth

My desktop takes 10 seconds to post (disabled fast bios because of my RAID config). Then once its posted, its booted to a usable state in 27 seconds.

Kesava

What if I don't have multiple accounts and therefore doesn't show a login screen, where do I time to? The screen that comes up for a few seconds that says "welcome"? does that even happen in Vista? I can't remember. What about the Vista orb thing. The circular logo vista thing... will that do?

FairDoos

12's Aprox, and the specs are in my sig :)

I just recently reformatted so i think thats got something to do with a good boot time :)

apj101

VIP Member
because I cant sleep with the thing on. funny tough, my pc is quite quiet, but the feint noise still keeps me awake.. :x

im the other way around. If its too quite I cant sleep. My PC is not in my bedroom. But fortunatly the gentle noise of the city serenades me to sleep.

Kesava

I used to hate any noise at all when I was trying to sleep. My speakers used to emit the faintest sound even when turned off. It wasn't audible until you were lying in bed silently and I would pull the plug every night. But since being in India and sleeping with a fan on full every night, I don't care about noise :D

2048Megabytes

What if I don't have multiple accounts and therefore doesn't show a login screen, where do I time to? The screen that comes up for a few seconds that says "welcome"? does that even happen in Vista? I can't remember. What about the Vista orb thing. The circular logo vista thing... will that do?

I would say time it until after the Vista logo disappears because that is when the log in screen would appear.

Why don't you have a password to get on your computer?