How much RAM do you need???

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
4gb is enough....its enough to browse firefox, listen to music, and play wow, and cs:s...

It's enough to do just about anything. I have 4GB and have never seen my computer use over 3 gigs. The highest it's ever used was when I ran Premier CS3 and photoshop Cs3 at the same time.

jdbennet

It's enough to do just about anything. I have 4GB and have never seen my computer use over 3 gigs

what OS do you run?

i got 2.5, the .5 is for the system etc..., and the 2 is there for games basically

im on xp though. My vista laptop has 3gb and it still seems slow?

jdbennet

pain in the ass. Vista is just so bloated. I mean, what the hell did they use a whole dual layer dvd for? a clean install uses like ~12-18gb

xp was like ~550mb and well under 3gb when installed

answeer = bloat

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i have 3GB,vista uses around 750-800Mb of it idle but still over 2Gb free.

i find it perfect,no lag ever,i heard you dont see any performance increase going from 3Gb to 4 so i didnt bother.

Gareth

Even if Vista did use 18GB of space, on todays hard drives, is that truly a lot, err, no. Not for when you can get 500GB for $69.

Also, on my 20GB HDD on my old C600, Vista uses just 6GB.

fade2green514

the real question is how much ram can you possibly use at once? ive never used my paging file unless stress testing my ram... 4gb is plenty. speaking of which my 32-bit OS only takes advantage of 3gb of it, and i dont think i ever maxed out my 2gb kit when i used it.

jdbennet

who here has superfetch on or off?

when its on, the caching to ram is supposed to make things faster but IMHO it seems to make things slower for me, and adds a lag at startup?

Bob Jeffery

on my previous post where i was doing all the stuff i was on 64bit vista and it was only using 1.8 or 1.9gb lol. But i was using nod32 :)