How much would this cost?

youtin

Hi! :) I'm thinking of getting a desktop by the end of this year or January of next year and I'd like to know approximately how much something like this would cost:

Intel Dual Core Processor
1 gig RAM
At least 80 GB hard drive
DVD Writer
Windows XP Home

My Dad agreed to buy the LCD monitor for me so I don't need to worry about that. I'm mainly going to use it to watch movies, surf, video conversions, and some occasional video editing. So do you think the specs are enough? Can I save more money if I choose a different processor, but with minimal difference in performance?

And is it better to get Vista? I was thinking Vista is the way to go, since if I'm upgrading, might as well upgrade the OS to something for the future, but I've used my bf's Vista laptop and I can't believe how sluggish it was at 1GB of RAM and an Intel Core Duo processor. I also found the interface slightly confusing, but that's probably just 'cause I wasn't used to it and it was in Japanese ^^;

EDIT:
Here's the link (next page) of my tentative rig. Comments, please?:)
http://www.computerforum.com/816218-post13.html

Last edited:

daisymtc

Allow $500-600. Could be cheaper if you use onboard graphic. And it will depends on what CPU and GPU you want.

Last edited:

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Hi! :) I'm thinking of getting a desktop by the end of this year or January of next year and I'd like to know approximately how much something like this would cost:

Intel Dual Core Processor
1 gig RAM
At least 80 GB hard drive
DVD Writer
Windows XP Home

My Dad agreed to buy the LCD monitor for me so I don't need to worry about that. I'm mainly going to use it to watch movies, surf, video conversions, and some occasional video editing. So do you think the specs are enough? Can I save more money if I choose a different processor, but with minimal difference in performance?

And is it better to get Vista? I was thinking Vista is the way to go, since if I'm upgrading, might as well upgrade the OS to something for the future, but I've used my bf's Vista laptop and I can't believe how sluggish it was at 1GB of RAM and an Intel Core Duo processor. I also found the interface slightly confusing, but that's probably just 'cause I wasn't used to it and it was in Japanese ^^;

More specific please... You could want an Pentium D for all I know... You could get an E2130 to an E6850...

Vista Home Premium is my opinion... Basic stinks.

youtin

More specific please... You could want an Pentium D for all I know... You could get an E2130 to an E6850...

Vista Home Premium is my opinion... Basic stinks.

I'm sorry, I'm not really well-versed on processors :eek: What processor do you think would suit my requirements? And at what specs will Vista not perform sluggishly?

youtin

Darn Vista for being a RAM Hogger..!!! I was actually expecting it to work fine on 1 gig since that's double the minimum requirements according to M$.

I'm going to use it for surfing, video conversions, DVD burning, and some image and video editing. Would I need a dedicated graphics card for video editing?

I won't be doing any gaming on it, I've got consoles for that ;)

lovely?

your in asia huh? that is going to be pretty darn difficult to find you parts, but here is what i suggest.

AMD X2 4400-4800 (usually under 100 dollars american, and beats any intel for the price)

HIS Hightech H160PRHMF128EN-R Radeon X1600PRO 512MB(128MB on Board)

some 2x1GB sticks of DDR800 ram

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI for the motherboard

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB

APEVIA X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Retail

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DH-20A4P-04 - OEM

Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium

did i miss anything? i think all of this shipped in america would cost a little over 600$ american...

daisymtc

Mid-range non gamming set-up
Intel E4500/ E6750
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
2 x 1 GB DDR2 800 RAM, depends on what brand sell in your country.
2600XT 256MB
Seagate 250GB 16MB Cache SATA HDD
SATA DVD burner
Quaility 400 - 450W PSU, depends on what brand sell in your country

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Well he's in Asia... :)D Taiwan 4 me :p)

Unless he can find an online asian store...

Or unless he has an friend in the US of A... That can ship it to him...

Prices are different everywhere...

(Is there like an 3C store near you?)

lovely?

Mid-range non gamming set-up
Intel E4500/ E6750
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
2 x 1 GB DDR2 800 RAM, depends on what brand sell in your country.
2600XT 256MB
Seagate 250GB 16MB Cache SATA HDD
SATA DVD burner
Quaility 400 - 450W PSU, depends on what brand sell in your country

i think you forgot the case and the operating system

youtin

....I find it funny that all of you refer to me as a "he" though I did mention in my post that I have a bf and I have little purple hearts in my sig XD :D (Well, though there technically ARE guys with bfs... XD )

Anyway, thanks so much for all your input guys! :D

I can't order online so I'm planning to buy from a brick-and-mortar store but still have it built according to the specs I want.

What do you think about this rig?

Core 2 Duo E4500 2.20Ghz
2GB DDR2
250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200
Samsung Lite-on DVD burner

for the motherboard, I could either get:
ASUS P5S-MX SE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131226&Tpk=asus+p5smx-se
or
INTEL 945GC http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/D945GCCR/index.htm

Video Card (I'm not yet sure if I need this, or if I should get it)
Nvidia 250MB 7300GS
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/01/19/nvidia_7300_gs/1

...one thing that really got into my nerves was that when I asked them about the PSU, the guy at the computer store didn't even know what a PSU was!!! Well to be fair I only knew about it because of this forum, but at least I know it exists and it's important. What should I look for in a PSU and how about the fans?