How much would you pay for this laptop?

swensoch

I am looking to buy a used laptop. This laptop is being sold on craigslist. It is a year old and has had no problems what so ever. He wants 500$ for it. These are the specs...

alienware m9750
Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 / 1.66 GHz on two cores
2gig DDR2 SDRAM - 667.0 MHz
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX
17 inch high def screen.
and windows 7 enterprise
120gig hd..

I want it to watch movies and bring to class. I will use dreamweaver on it every once in a while and possibly photoshop. I will probably want to add more ram. I like the big screen size.

Thanks for any help. Let me know if this is a good deal to you.

ganzey

banned
yea, i would pay $400 for that. it does have a c2d, and 2gb of ram. i didnt notice the 17"screen before

Michael

The M9750 came with dual 7950 GTX's in SLI and the display is 1920x1080. It's capable of 8GB of DDR2 RAM, and DDR2 is pretty cheap now so you can upgrade that at a lower price-point. That model also came equipped with b/g/n WiFi, a second HDD bay (I believe you can set them in RAID as well, but don't quote me on that!) and S-Video/VGA/DVI/HDMI outputs.. all features you won't generally find on a $500 laptop these days, new or used.

If it were me, I'd offer $400 cash and see where that gets you but, in the end if he's firm on price, buy it if it's what you want. Assuming it's in good physical condition and is 100% functional, $500 is a good deal.

ScOuT

VIP Member
Me personnaly, I would not do it unless he dropped the price down a little. There are pros and cons to the deal.

Pros:
1. Good size screen, 17 High Def is wonderful on a laptop.
2. Could not buy a laptop of that specs for same price.

Cons:
1. Processor is a little dated. My laptop has a T7200 and it is 3 years old now. Doing Photoshop that laptop might struggle a little. Render times will be slow if a large file is being processed.
2. You might want a new hard drive and RAM in the future. Dreamweaver and Photoshop are very RAM intensive programs. The 120GB hard drive will fill up quick when editing photos.

There will be no warranty! What if the product you get does not work correctly? Then what? Throw that $500 in the trash can.

The possible future upgrades will of course cost money. Might be better off just saving for a few more months and getting a new product (warranty) with better hardware.

You might thank yourself later on down the road.

Cdy291

The Screen and the Graphics card are whats making that computer a deal, but if you aren't gaming a card like that isn't worth worring about. In the end you may be better off getting a new one.

Last edited:

PohTayToez

Spec wise, it's not a great deal. Brand wise, it's an excellent deal. If you can get it for $400, go for it. That model goes on eBay used for $600-$700, so you could resell it and then get something that is a bit more reasonably priced for the specs.

swensoch

Then what would you guys suggest I buy with a budget of 600$ that can run photoshop and watch movies. I plan on buying the alienware and reselling it on ebay.

ganzey

banned
So you wont pay $500 for the laptop above but you'd pay over that for those two?? You must be on crack man.

It's a good deal, but imo 17" is pretty big to be luggin around to school and everywhere.

first of all those have twice the ram, faster processors, way bigger hard drive, ARENT MANUFACTURED BY DELL, and are new.

i never said i would buy any of them, he just asked for some reccomendations, and thats what i posted

BigSteve702

first of all those have twice the ram, faster processors, way bigger hard drive, ARENT MANUFACTURED BY DELL, and are new.

i never said i would buy any of them, he just asked for some reccomendations, and thats what i posted

dell's laptops are great. i work full time at a full laptop service store, and i HARDLY see dells come in for anything other than the usual battery replacement or fixing a bad dc jack. never anything major, now... HP and Toshiba on the other hand... one in every 4 im fixing needs a new harddrive or the mobo has gone bad