How to cool a CPU below 50C without water cooler

Stroyed

Im doing a science fair project. I'll just get to the chase, I need to cool the CPU to anything below 50 degrees Celsius without freezing it or water cooling. Any ideas?

beers

Staff member
Most default configurations should operate within these parameters on a stock cooler..

Laquer Head

What exactly are you trying to achieve with this project? Just getting a processor cooled doesn't strike me as anything science fair project worthy.? Or am I missing something here?

Stroyed

What exactly are you trying to achieve with this project? Just getting a processor cooled doesn't strike me as anything science fair project worthy.? Or am I missing something here?
Well I'm trying to see how the temperature of a CPU affects how well it runs. So I'm having cold it's normal temperature, and hot.

Laquer Head

There are so many variables though, temperature alone is not going to paint a complete picture of a given processors performance. Are you going to be testing temps and running software, games, other tasks?

beers

Staff member
Well I'm trying to see how the temperature of a CPU affects how well it runs. So I'm having cold it's normal temperature, and hot.
Realistically you should see near-exacting performance figures whether it is 0C or 80C.

Resistance in metals in a supercooled environment drops to a large degree, if you google liquid nitrogen cooling there are a lot of overclockers who can get more headroom out of a super-cooled CPU. That requires increasing the operating frequency, though. Simply being cold at the same clocks will give similar performance metrics.

You could of course conduct the experiment to find out for yourself, however :)

Dry ice or LN2 would make for a more exciting project :D

Well what would be considered cold for a CPU then?
35 - 40c well achievable on average with just some decent fans and a good heat sink, water cooling etc, have not heard of anyone wanting to do that since the 90's. outdated by better fans and casing really imo, had all been done and tested years ago only to boil down to pointless when the right fans can keep you PC temp down well within safe parameters running all day every day.

Here it is the only thing you need these days to keep your CPU temp down to a very safe level even under extreme overclocking conditions

https://www.amazon.co.uk/noctua-NH-...9EYVGY/ref=zg_bs_11036281_9?tag=amazon0c83-21

Last edited:
What's your idea of extreme?

Well personally I would not clock my system, I honestly fail to see any need, and its not like I even have the fastest most extreme model of CPU out there, I have the a 3rd gen i5-3570K, not the fastest but seemed like the best value CPU on the market at the time, and is a clockable CPU, its even on a Z77 chipset board, inside CoolerMaster COSMOS S case kitted out fully with all Noctua fans, one of the older models of Thermalright heat sink units, heat sink was considered one of the best at the time and sold without a fan and advertised as been able to handle perfectly well without one, but still I put a optional 140mm Noctua on it. I have never seen a single core on that CPU reach over 50c, around 20 to 30c, every seen it as low as 12c on occasions, to see my CPU running at around 22 to 28c is not an uncommon site.

So basically this set up would be ideal for clocking but, still not going to do it because there is no need, but having everything there in a position so its cruising at standard speeds with such ease, everything I run on here is smooth, does never locks up never crashes anything, am yet to see it struggle to run anything, and I have run over 2,000 hours of a modded up version of Skyrim on this PC before, so my set up is living proof imo that running standard speeds in conditions that clockers could use easily, gives you a much healthier more stable system, which suits be better than any pointless extra speed I would get from clocking.

Standard the CPU does its own boost thing up to 3.8 per core anyway from 3.4. but I would think since that heat sink posted is the modern day version of what I have so its going to be better even if only slightly, and if I can run an average temp of 22 - 28c on this set up, well you tell me what you think someone serious about clocking there system could creep there system up to who is starting out with a more modern latest gen i5 or 7, I don't think I would struggle to take my speeds up to 4.8 right here and now if I wanted, so I'm would guess that is a capable sink if you wanted to go to extreme.

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
Well personally I would not clock my system, I honestly fail to see any need, and its not like I even have the fastest most extreme model of CPU out there, I have the a 3rd gen i5-3570K, not the fastest but seemed like the best value CPU on the market at the time, and is a clockable CPU, its even on a Z77 chipset board, inside CoolerMaster COSMOS S case kitted out fully with all Noctua fans, one of the older models of Thermalright heat sink units, heat sink was considered one of the best at the time and sold without a fan and advertised as been able to handle perfectly well without one, but still I put a optional 140mm Noctua on it. I have never seen a single core on that CPU reach over 50c, around 20 to 30c, every seen it as low as 12c on occasions, to see my CPU running at around 22 to 28c is not an uncommon site.

So basically this set up would be ideal for clocking but, still not going to do it because there is no need, but having everything there in a position so its cruising at standard speeds with such ease, everything I run on here is smooth, does never locks up never crashes anything, am yet to see it struggle to run anything, and I have run over 2,000 hours of a modded up version of Skyrim on this PC before, so my set up is living proof imo that running standard speeds in conditions that clockers could use easily, gives you a much healthier more stable system, which suits be better than any pointless extra speed I would get from clocking.

Standard the CPU does its own boost thing up to 3.8 per core anyway from 3.4. but I would think since that heat sink posted is the modern day version of what I have so its going to be better even if only slightly, and if I can run an average temp of 22 - 28c on this set up, well you tell me what you think someone serious about clocking there system could creep there system up to who is starting out with a more modern latest gen i5 or 7, I don't think I would struggle to take my speeds up to 4.8 right here and now if I wanted, so I'm would guess that is a capable sink if you wanted to go to extreme.
You have yet to mention any application you've used that will really benefit from a higher clocked processor. So, of course you don't see the need to overclock... even though weirdly enough, you have a K-series processor, an aftermarket cooler, and a mobo capable of overclocking.

The only thing your setup is a "living proof" of, is that you haven't reached the point where the bottleneck is no longer in the video card and/or in the game engine of the game you're playing. Once you play games or use software that are heavily CPU dependent, you'll appreciate a higher clocked processor. Be it in the form of a faster out of the box processor, or overclocking your current processor.

Intel_man

VIP Member
o_O make it stop...:eek:
No kidding right?

I should put out a disclaimer now before he takes it the wrong way.

DISCLAIMER: @killershark1978, I am in no way purposely targeting you to make you look bad. Your reasoning behind certain aspects of computers is rather odd and inaccurate for the most part, which is why I am pointing them out and also steering you into the right direction.

Laquer Head

DISCLAIMER: Writing multi-chapter novels worth of text in posts, nearly every time gives members ocular degeneration.

Last edited: