How to: Downgrade to Windows XP

hilleman311

Hello, I have a Gateway M-1625 with a pre-installed version of Vista. Can someone help me downgrade it to Windows XP. I tried just booting with a windows xp cd, but it didn't work. Please can someone help me, I am not much of a fan of vista.

AlienMenace

First of all, go to gateway and see if there are any xp drivers for your computer. If not, it wouldn't matter. New machines that is built with Vista in it has the drivers for Vista only and it would be a real pain to do so. If you can live with Vista till next year, I would get the new Windows 7. I really don't like vista either but I am beta testing the windows 7 and I really like it much more than vista.

bosing

You will need to do a clean install for that. Format your HD first and install XP. The drivers for your components should be available on the service packs and windows update. If not, try looking on the manufacturers website and download each driver. Windows can probably install a generic drivers for that..

JTM

First of all, go to gateway and see if there are any xp drivers for your computer. If not, it wouldn't matter. New machines that is built with Vista in it has the drivers for Vista only and it would be a real pain to do so. If you can live with Vista till next year, I would get the new Windows 7. I really don't like vista either but I am beta testing the windows 7 and I really like it much more than vista.

Correct, the sad thing is HP has started to not offer the backwards drivers for XP. So with a ton of work it can be done, but it's a royal pain :mad:

G25r8cer

Correct, the sad thing is HP has started to not offer the backwards drivers for XP. So with a ton of work it can be done, but it's a royal pain :mad:

It was fairly easy with my hp. I just searched google "a6228x xp". Alot of people already did the hard work! lol I just downloaded the drivers they used and all was well. The only thing I couldnt find for xp was my hp multimedia keyboard drivers but, thats no big deal.