How To Make you computer faster

awildgoose

Ok guys.
If you have anything else you want added to this thread, I am going to finish it tomorrow and make it look better and links to downloads.
But please P.M. me or reply with anything else you want me to add that will speed up your computer i.e. what to check-uncheck with start-up and just stuff like that.

2048Megabytes

You posted this:

"Your hard drive may start spinning a little slower after a while. I will explain, your HDD (unless a SSHD) is spinning, that's how it holds it's data. After a while it may start running a little slower. This will start making the data, well just not good."
"A way to fix this (I am pretty sure these are related) is to fix the error parts. Right-click on a hard drive via My computer -> Properties -> Tools (You can also do a defrag from here) and click on Error-Checking Check Now. A pop-up will come up with Scan for system Errors and Attempt to fix system errors (something like that). Check The second box (Scan for system Errors) because your HDD may not have errors. Let it run and if there are errors, well fix 'em."

Some of this information is not correct. You are inferring that CheckDisk (or error checking a hard drive) will somehow make a hard drive spin faster. CheckDisk checks a hard drive for bad sectors on the drive. If it finds bad sectors, the program attempts to recover the data from the bad sectors.

I might also add if you find bad sectors on a hard drive to get whatever data you value off the hard drive because the bad sectors spread eventually ruining whatever data you store on the drive.

Also, when using CheckDisk never power off a computer. Always let it finish. You can corrupt data on the drive (such as vital operating system files) by interupting a CheckDisk scan.

2048Megabytes

I apologize if the above post sounded snobby or rude in anyway. I just want you to have the correct information. I hope the information I have contributed helps.

awildgoose

I apologize if the above post sounded snobby or rude in anyway. I just want you to have the correct information. I hope the information I have contributed helps.

Thanks NP, I had a feeling that the bad sectors will not make the drive spin slower, I don't know much about the hard drive itself.
But I did a little checking around and in general it just seemed like a better thing for it.

EDIT: I have fixed the area.

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

Your post states this:

"Your hard drive contains all your information right? Well sometimes some bad files or corrupt files may get on it and in general will make this slower. Anyone who does not know what I am talking about, but has a play-station with a bad memory card, well it wasn't fun was it?"

I would rephrase some of this to say the following:

"Your hard drive is the most important component in your computer. It is good to run an error check at least once every few months to make sure there are no bad sectors on your drive."

What you are stating has more to do with the function of an anti-virus program. When malicious files are stored on your hard drive they can corrupt vital files that your operating system needs in order to function. It is an anti-virus programs function to clean malicious files off your hard drive.

awildgoose

Ok thanks, I added you thing word for word if you don't mind?

Also, I didn't get to writing the rest up today, I kinda had other stuff to do.

2048Megabytes

I don't mind at all if you use my words. I would also remove the following part of your post that I put in bold text.

"A way to fix this (I am pretty sure these are related) is to fix the error parts. Right-click on a hard drive via My computer -> Properties -> Tools (You can also do a defrag from here) and click on Error-Checking Check Now. A pop-up will come up with Scan for system Errors and Attempt to fix system errors (something like that). Check The second box (Scan for system Errors) because your HDD may not have errors . . ."

awildgoose

wish i knew that before!...........

It is never too late to do all this.

BTW guys, I know I said I was going to finish this guide like 1-2 weeks ago, but I fell really sick and wasn't able to finish, but I will hopefully finish it soon, just after some more research and some more feedback please!

2048Megabytes

I went through and edited all your text. Use whatever you wish. I will definitely be using some of the information you have gathered as much of it is good.

Operating Systems may get loaded down with malicious software and other programs slowing down system performance if they are not maintained properly. Some tools to improve system performance are as follows:

Open Run -> type "MSCONFIG" and press enter.
Go into Startup and find programs that you do not use or do not want starting up when you boot your computer and un-check them. This will make your start up faster. (Be wary unchecking everything, some things you actually do need for Windows to operate properly).

Also in MSCONFIG go to BOOT.INI and click on "Advanced Options..."
Check NUMPROC= ( entitled "Number of Processors" in Windows Vista) and select in how many processors you have (if your system has more than one). Windows default is to use only one core.

Run a virus scan, DO NOT USE NORTON Anti-Virus. I recommend Avast! and if you do not want to pay money (other good free programs are Spybot - Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware). Fix any viruses and malcious software you may find with your virus scanning programs.

Run Disk Defragmenter. The easy way to find this program is: Start -> Programs ->Accessories-> System tools-> Disk Defragmenter. Analyze your hard drive and click Defragment now. Over time your hard drive will clutter up with fragmented files and be spread over the drive. Defragmenting will organize files on the hard drive and speed up access time. I would recommend using Disk Defragmenter at least once every two weeks.

Run Disk Cleanup. You can find it in the same folder as Disk Defragmenter. This application will help you clean up old and unneeded files on a computer. You can also compress old files that you do not use.

Right click on your recycle bin, go to properties, click on Global settings and allocate 5% for all hard drives. 10% is just too much.

RAM is random access memory. The processor uses RAM to temporarily hold both data and instructions while it is processing them. RAM is much faster to access than permanent storage (hard drive). Most RAM presently transfers data at over two thousand of megabytes per second. A hard drive reads data at around 60 megabytes per second presently (as of 2009). RAM is volatile; it loses its contents when power is removed.
If you are using the Windows XP Operating System and your computer does not have at least 768 megabytes of RAM I would recommend you upgrade your memory. If you are using Windows Vista and your computer does not have at least 1500 megabytes of RAM I would recommend you upgrade your memory.

If you do not care about having an aesthetic desktop and would rather have a faster more efficient system (this will not effect video game graphics) then do the following: Start -> Control Panel -> System. Go to the Advanced Tab and click Settings (In Windows Vista click the Settings tab under Performance).

A pop-up will come up and for now be in the Visual Effects tab. There are four things you can choose. Once you have done this it is pretty obvious where to go, would you rather best performance or appearance?
I chose the custom option, as I do like aesthetic appearance but I do not need to have my windows fading in and out.

Your hard drive is the most important component in your computer. It is good to run an error check at least once every few months to make sure there are no bad sectors on your drive. Right-click on a hard drive via My computer -> Properties -> Tools and click on Error-Checking Check Now. A pop-up will come up with Scan for system Errors and Attempt to fix system errors. Check the second box (Scan for system Errors) because your HDD (hard drive disk) may not have errors. Let it run and fix errors if it finds them.

I might also add if you find bad sectors on a hard drive to get whatever data you value off the hard drive because the bad sectors spread eventually destroying whatever data you store on the drive.

awildgoose

I went through and edited all your text. Use whatever you wish. I will definitely be using some of the information you have gathered as much of it is good.

Operating Systems may get loaded down with malicious software and other programs slowing down system performance if they are not maintained properly. Some tools to improve system performance are as follows:

Open Run -> type "MSCONFIG" and press enter.
Go into Startup and find programs that you do not use or do not want starting up when you boot your computer and un-check them. This will make your start up faster. (Be wary unchecking everything, some things you actually do need for Windows to operate properly).

Also in MSCONFIG go to BOOT.INI and click on "Advanced Options..."
Check NUMPROC= ( entitled "Number of Processors" in Windows Vista) and select in how many processors you have (if your system has more than one). Windows default is to use only one core.

Run a virus scan, DO NOT USE NORTON Anti-Virus. I recommend Avast! and if you do not want to pay money (other good free programs are Spybot - Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware). Fix any viruses and malcious software you may find with your virus scanning programs.

Run Disk Defragmenter. The easy way to find this program is: Start -> Programs ->Accessories-> System tools-> Disk Defragmenter. Analyze your hard drive and click Defragment now. Over time your hard drive will clutter up with fragmented files and be spread over the drive. Defragmenting will organize files on the hard drive and speed up access time. I would recommend using Disk Defragmenter at least once every two weeks.

Run Disk Cleanup. You can find it in the same folder as Disk Defragmenter. This application will help you clean up old and unneeded files on a computer. You can also compress old files that you do not use.

Right click on your recycle bin, go to properties, click on Global settings and allocate 5% for all hard drives. 10% is just too much.

RAM is random access memory. The processor uses RAM to temporarily hold both data and instructions while it is processing them. RAM is much faster to access than permanent storage (hard drive). Most RAM presently transfers data at over two thousand of megabytes per second. A hard drive reads data at around 60 megabytes per second presently (as of 2009). RAM is volatile; it loses its contents when power is removed.
If you are using the Windows XP Operating System and your computer does not have at least 768 megabytes of RAM I would recommend you upgrade your memory. If you are using Windows Vista and your computer does not have at least 1500 megabytes of RAM I would recommend you upgrade your memory.

If you do not care about having an aesthetic desktop and would rather have a faster more efficient system (this will not effect video game graphics) then do the following: Start -> Control Panel -> System. Go to the Advanced Tab and click Settings (In Windows Vista click the Settings tab under Performance).

A pop-up will come up and for now be in the Visual Effects tab. There are four things you can choose. Once you have done this it is pretty obvious where to go, would you rather best performance or appearance?
I chose the custom option, as I do like aesthetic appearance but I do not need to have my windows fading in and out.

Your hard drive is the most important component in your computer. It is good to run an error check at least once every few months to make sure there are no bad sectors on your drive. Right-click on a hard drive via My computer -> Properties -> Tools and click on Error-Checking Check Now. A pop-up will come up with Scan for system Errors and Attempt to fix system errors. Check the second box (Scan for system Errors) because your HDD (hard drive disk) may not have errors. Let it run and fix errors if it finds them.

I might also add if you find bad sectors on a hard drive to get whatever data you value off the hard drive because the bad sectors spread eventually destroying whatever data you store on the drive.

Alright, thanks.
I haven't been on in ages so I don't know how long you would have been waiting me to change it.

So what information did you use the most? (as in, what did you value -value, right word? - the most, like what did you use?)

awildgoose

I know this seems like spam, but it's not post straight away alright guys?

So I have added some more in the msconfig area of it (although there are no specific area's).

Nikole

You can make your computer , by following these steps .

1 Delete all the temporary junk files fom your computer , ie %temp% , temp , pretech .
2 Use diskcleanup .
3 Use defragmentaion.
4 Increase the virtual memory of your computer .
5 Remove unwanted , startup items from msconfig .
6 Remove unwanted services from msconfig > services
7 Scan your computer with updated antivirus software, for all the malwares present on your computer .

awildgoose

You can make your computer , by following these steps .

1 Delete all the temporary junk files fom your computer , ie %temp% , temp , pretech .
2 Use diskcleanup .
3 Use defragmentaion.
4 Increase the virtual memory of your computer .
5 Remove unwanted , startup items from msconfig .
6 Remove unwanted services from msconfig > services
7 Scan your computer with updated antivirus software, for all the malwares present on your computer .

Read it, it says all of that.

2048Megabytes

Increase the virtual memory of your computer.

I disagree with this statement. Why would you increase virtual memory if you had an adequate amount of RAM? Virtual memory is using the hard drive like RAM only it is much slower. If you have an adequate amount of RAM virtual memory does not need to be increased.

But I would advise setting virtual memory at a fixed point rather than having it be variable. Change the "Initial size" and "Maximum size" to the same number. It can slow a system down if the operating system changes the virtual memory size.

Edit: Might I also add AWildGoose that when posting the abbreviation for megabytes post it as "MB." The abbreviation "mb" stands for megabits not megabytes.

Last edited: