How to overlay any program while gaming?

Pupp

What are you trying to overlay? Certainly programs designed to show your frame rate and other GPU statistics, and programs used for capturing video of games should have options for overlay on top of full window mode.

minitank

I’m trying to observe data transfers and if I can get the servers IP see how it reroutes me to a location where a game or server is created.

I have done windowed mode, in fact I ran a test of 4 games, and 480p on 4 mbps and it worked fine until, I launched the 4th, which gave the gpu some troubles. However Quake 2 still ran fine and still had a stable connection and this was wirelessly.

thus I would need to overlay windows while playing these games to see what is actually going on, some games in window mode is much more of a difficult experience, due to screen size. RTS games in my situation the mouse will go off the screen, so you would need to make sure you hover over the trigger to scroll around.

Pupp

Wireshark saves data. I guess it caches the data and saves it to the same file every few minutes. I doubt it runs as an overlay, but you can look at the data afterwards.

I haven't played any FPS games, just roleplaying games (and many years since that), but I tooled around a few year ago with Everquest: I don't count playing a few hours as "getting back into a game", and tried Guild Wars for a few days. Both gave warning when you were put into a new server.

That being said, I'm not sure you'd get much out of it, at least for some games, because I'm sure many of them, you can only trace to the edge router and not the intranet at the company, so most likely, in that scenario, every server will have the same IP address.. that of the edge router. But I can't say for any particular game if that's the case or not. Plus I think a lot of the "game servers" for games are virtual, and might be running several virtual servers on a single machine for low traffic events, or dedicate several physical machines to a single "virtual game server" if the "virtual game server" is under extreme load.

Last edited:

minitank

Wireshark saves data. I guess it caches the data and saves it to the same file every few minutes. I doubt it runs as an overlay, but you can look at the data afterwards.

I haven't played any FPS games, just roleplaying games (and many years since that), but I tooled around a few year ago with Everquest: I don't count playing a few hours as "getting back into a game", and tried Guild Wars for a few days. Both gave warning when you were put into a new server.

That being said, I'm not sure you'd get much out of it, at least for some games, because I'm sure many of them, you can only trace to the edge router and not the intranet at the company, so most likely, in that scenario, every server will have the same IP address.. that of the edge router. But I can't say for any particular game if that's the case or not. Plus I think a lot of the "game servers" for games are virtual, and might be running several virtual servers on a single machine for low traffic events, or dedicate several physical machines to a single "virtual game server" if the "virtual game server" is under extreme load.
I figured it out.

I will need to find a smaller ping tool, and find a secondary tool I love, but some games playin windowed mode it was difficult cause the mouse would easily go offscreen, and some of the rts or mobas I play it made it difficult to see what causes increases data transfers.

you can obtain the servers IP for the game you are in, but some servers won’t allow for pings. Most likely because DDoS attacks.

either way it helps out a lot to have these tools because it takes 4 devices to reach the modem, and I fixed almost all the issues, I just need another device with a better antenna, because it’s appearance wouldn’t go well on my desk, so it’s on the floor. Thanks for help anyway.