I just bought a new one. what do you think?

tincan

I just bought a new barebones computer. I'm wondering what everyone thinks about it?

Barebones with Intel CPU
Intel Pentium D 925 ( 2 x 3.0GHz - 800FSB)
ASRock CONROE1333
Fan / Heatsink - Basic Level (Aluminum - 50mm fan - 23CFM - 43dBA)
Standard Mid-Tower Case (Black)
Included 450 Watt Power Supply
Standard - Build, Burn-in, Test & Ship Out in Approx 3 to 5 Business Days
1 Year Manufacturers Repair / Replacement Warranty

ddr2-667 Market Grade - 1 GB PC2-5300 / 667Mhz DDR2

WD800JD 80.0 GB,7200 RPM ,SATA150 ,8MB CACHE (Origional OEM 1 Year Warranty)

tincan

it's just for everyday use. very little gaming. Mostly web surfing and loading from a hdd camcorder. I forgot to mention that it is new and all of that was only $207. I'm going to use my dvd rw from my old system.

PabloTeK

Hmm I thinks the fan is going to be an issue; 23CFM on a Pent D 925 and at 43 dBA! That'll have to be one mother of a heatsink to keep that cool.

it's just for everyday use. very little gaming. Mostly web surfing and loading from a hdd camcorder. I forgot to mention that it is new and all of that was only $207. I'm going to use my dvd rw from my old system.

Not bad pricing... What about Windows?

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
>why do you say that its not a good pc? I'm looking for opionions here.

You'll be fine, don't worry. You don't need the super-new technology that came out 3 days ago in order to have a 'good' PC. The first one I built in 2002 lasted me personally for 4 years, then found new life for my younger sisters. Forget anything negative that people will try to tell you about a Pentium D. Unless you do hardcore gaming, you'll never notice the difference in speed. I've had a D 940 for about 6 months now (and a D 840 for a while before that) and I plan on using it for a few years to come.

At some point, you may want to get a new CPU cooler though. The D's run a bit hotter because of their voltage, but a good heatsink/fan will null that issue.

--Jay

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
And for the record, my first system cost me +/- $325 for everything and it's going on almost 6 years now, so lower price doesn't always mean crappy system. And that was using 2002 technology.

tincan

I should add that my current computer is a amd 950mhz 512ddr and 30gb hard drive. I think this is a huge jump forward for me.