I Keep Getting BSODs

Hi,

I have just built a new PC and have installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

I kept getting BSODs on the first install, so thought I would reinstall Windows, but it keeps BSODing on the fresh install. :(

I was wondering if any one can tell me how to fix the BSODing.

I have attached the two minidump files from the two BSODs I have had tonight. Computer has only been turned on for 15-20 minutes.

Thanks.

View attachment 051712-28407-01.zip

spirit

Staff member
I would recommend you download and run Memtest86 to make sure that your RAM is not defective. Defective RAM can cause BSODs. I had the same issue just over a year ago and a defective DIMM was the issue. You want to run Memtest for a good 6-12 hours I'd say.

http://www.memtest86.com/

spirit

Staff member
Run it over night or whilst you're out at work or something. It's not a biggie. I just ran it when I was at school.

Viision

Generally ram that is defective and can cause windows to crash would do it in like 10 - 15 minutes of starting memtest. I would run a full memtest for sure still though.

red onion

As well as the mem test, you might want to reseat the ram, as well as replug-in the cables. Something loose may be causing the problem.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah I'd check your timings. I got loads of BSODs when I tried to use CAS-9 DDR3 RAM on a board which had been set up for CAS-7 RAM, and I couldn't get Windows to install or run with more than 2 sticks of RAM installed without it blue screening. Changing the timings in the BIOS from 7-7-7-21 to 9-9-9-24 solved the issue.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Try to load BIOS optimal defaults and set the RAM memory usage to AUTOMATIC.

And of course run the MEMTEST to make sure your RAM chips do not have any errors on it.

Also check the cables,fans and temperatures and let us know.

Also make sure your HDD works properly.Because if you attempt to install something on a bad HDD,you will get BSODs very very very often.

Cheers!

Yeah I'd check your timings. I got loads of BSODs when I tried to use CAS-9 DDR3 RAM on a board which had been set up for CAS-7 RAM, and I couldn't get Windows to install or run with more than 2 sticks of RAM installed without it blue screening. Changing the timings in the BIOS from 7-7-7-21 to 9-9-9-24 solved the issue.

How do I check the timing?

Try to load BIOS optimal defaults and set the RAM memory usage to AUTOMATIC.

Is that easy to do?

Also make sure your HDD works properly.Because if you attempt to install something on a bad HDD,you will get BSODs very very very often.
i think its a HDD problem like S.T.A.R.S : ) try another hard drive.

The hard drive is a new Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB hard drive.

How do I check if it is a bad hard drive?

Also has anyone even able to read the mini dump files?

Thanks

spirit

Staff member
airbusA346 said:
How do I check the timing?
Firstly find out what timings your RAM is (usually CAS-9 which is 9-9-9-24), then go into the BIOS, find the advanced options, then find the RAM settings (it maybe under some overclocking menu), and then set the following:

DRAM CAS# - 9
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 9
DRAM RAS# PRE - 9
DRAM# RAS# ACT Time - 24

Or whatever your RAM is rated at. If it's CAS-7 for example it will be 7-7-7-21. Don't just assume it's CAS-9 like mine and then change it to those values. What RAM have you got? Make+model?

You might want to check your motherboard manual for clearer instructions.

airbusA346 said:
Is that easy to do?
Yep look for "Load Optimal Settings" or "Load Fail-Safe Defaults" in the BIOS. Usually it's on the first screen you see. Again, check your motherboard manual though.

airbusA346 said:
How do I check if it is a bad hard drive?
You need to download and run some sort of HDD diagnostics test such as Western Digital Lifeguard. Seagate should have their own software though, have a look on their site for it.

JHM

banned
His RAM might be either defective, or "Low Quality" on a board that demands "High Quality". Setting the timings to the defaults, WILL NOT help in that case. What you have to do is slow the timings down to the point where the RAM is capable of operating properly.

spirit

Staff member

OK go into the BIOS and find the memory timings control (look in your motherboard manual for instructions), and change...

DRAM CAS# - 7
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 8
DRAM RAS# PRE - 7
DRAM# RAS# ACT Time - 24

...if those values are not already set. It could be an issue with your timings if the board is set up to use CAS-9 RAM but the RAM itself is CAS-7.

By the way, run Memtest first before you change the timings.

JHM said:
His RAM might be either defective, or "Low Quality" on a board that demands "High Quality". Setting the timings to the defaults, WILL NOT help in that case. What you have to do is slow the timings down to the point where the RAM is capable of operating properly.
You want the board to use the same timings as the RAM, and if you look at the link the OP provided, under the Specs page it says that the RAM is CAS-7 (7-8-7-24), so that's what I'd set the board up for. Though the RAM should run OK at CAS-9 / 9-9-9-24 because CAS-9 is slower than CAS-7. If all else fails, you can reset the BIOS or just clear the CMOS I guess.

His RAM may be defective though, so that's why I recommend to run Memtest before you do anything with the timings.

Last edited:

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Run MEMTEST like vistakid10 said before you change any RAM configurations and values to ensure that your RAM even works properly without any errors.Sometimes even 1 error is enough to cause big problems.

Still if those are new sticks they SHOULD be without any errors.But check it just in case and let us know.

Cheers!

Currently got Memtest running:

Still on pass 1 I think even though it has already passed 100% once.

Currently showing 629 errors and counting most on Test #7 [Random number sequence]

Shame it doesn't indicate which RAM stick the error is on. :(

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If its showing 629 errors then either run memtest on each stick individually or buy totally new memory.

spirit

Staff member
airbusA346 said:
Currently showing 629 errors and counting most on Test #7 [Random number sequence]
Yeah your RAM is dead mate. I'd just do as John said and buy a whole new set of DIMMs. RAM is so cheap these days anyway.