i need help, what computer to buy?

luke123190

ok well, really I have a computer, that is lagging so bad, so i am getting a new one, sadly i only have $1000 (i live in australia, so thats AUS dollars) to spend, and i am not good at building computers, so I am going need some help. The problem is I am gamer (like most people) and i still want to be able to play the new and old games, and i am trying to get at least 2gb of RAM, and i am not sure about all the GHZ stuff, but what i am really looking for here is preformance, I have a hard drive that i am going to put in my new computer, but i still want it to come with one. So I am really stuffed and can't figure out what to get, i was thinking DELL but there prices are WAY out of my budget. I also got reccomended to go for a dual processor, but PRICE is my issue :mad:. I can't really explain it any better, i am not a computer whiz. The thing is $1000 is my limit at the moment, but i might be able to get $1400 by the end of the year, so anyone now what to do, or what to buy? Also if this helps, there is a computer store near where i live, and every sunday there is a computer swapmeet. PS. I am not hardcore gamer so i don't play crisis and all that FPS stuff, (see i got a xbox360 for that) i am really more strategy/simulation, games like command and conquer 3 red alert, spore (which sadly lags), The sims 3 (with that i want to be able to get it when it comes out), sorry to ask this as i know it is quite annoying, ummm that's it i think, i would really appreciate the help :) Oh and i got told to get a NVIDIA graphics card?

luke123190

sadly, about them,

thay are located in Melbourne, i don't know wether i will be able to go there just for a computer, as it is a 1 hour drive there and another hour back, if I can help i live in Geelong (australia), so i am looking for something a bit closer, but i will keep that in mind, thanks (that will probably be me last resort, oh and I don't quite understand one thing, all the stuff at the bottom, like add NVIADA chip, does that mean they put that while you are there?)

luke123190

What you will actually need is to change just the Mboard, cpu and ram. It may not even go to 1K.

sadly i have tried that twice before, never improving anything When i changed the motherboard and cpu + i got bonus RAM it seemed to go worse, so that is why i am buying another one :(. Also i am looking for something with XP as i am not very keen on Vista, and it means games require more to run, and i have always found it akward

Last edited:

yuki953

for what you want, ima throw out some specs for minimum, then maximum...

Minimum,
1.5ghz 1core
1gb ram
Windows XP
80gb HDD
HD4670/nVidea 9200

Maximum,
2.5ghz
2gb RAM
Windows vista basic.
250gb HDD
HD4830/nVidea9600

daisymtc

thay are located in Melbourne, i don't know wether i will be able to go there just for a computer, as it is a 1 hour drive there and another hour back, if I can help i live in Geelong (australia), so i am looking for something a bit closer, but i will keep that in mind, thanks (that will probably be me last resort, oh and I don't quite understand one thing, all the stuff at the bottom, like add NVIADA chip, does that mean they put that while you are there?)

I suggest you take the list, use that as bottom line. Go to your locate computer shop and ask how much they build the system with identical/ similar specifications.

Or alternatively, go to your local shop, ask them what you can get for AU$1000, post the list of hardware here and we help you to have a look.
It will be best to ask if they have a list of hardwares they available and how much they mark up for building it.

Bodaggit23

I did buy the best my computer could support and it just got worse, so don't tell me i got worse ones, i know for a fact they were better,
Please don't take offense, as I meant none.

If you bought a new motherboard, cpu, and RAM, there's no way the pc could have been worse unless you chose older or slower components than you already had.

Post the specs of your current system and we'll see where the weak link is.

You may just need a better graphics card.

luke123190

well that is the thing, we have a family computer that lags, but now i have decided i want one of my own, so it's just has my stuff on it no one else's like i mean it's a pretty old computer, so i am gettin a new one, so i don't get blamed for LAG, memory related issues and even viruses, Cause i mean i hate it when everything is blamed on me so i just decided to get a new one, not upgrade the old one sadly,

luke123190

If you want NVIDIA card, I suggest 9600GT, but it not availible at that list of upgrade.

Would a 9500GT be ok, only cause thats on the list, or is there a major flaw with these cards?

Bodaggit23

Would a 9500GT be ok, only cause thats on the list, or is there a major flaw with these cards?
9500GT's spec pretty good. You would be able to play
any game you want with it, and guaranteed, no more lag
from running your other basic applications.

I'm going to get one soon for one of my older systems
because they're cheap.