I turned away from PC gaming: My Story

dirtbikeryzz

Lazy guy+computer problems= new console gamer.
computer guy+ computer problems= 5min of fixing and back to gaming. Only reason i have a console is because I got my 360 when they first came out, I can't stand playing mw2 on there its so blurry even on 1080i.

Last edited:

Twist86

It is funny you say this because as of late I spend more and more time off my PC :p
Though id never go back to Console gaming for the simple fact Microsoft milks you like cows and PS3 has very limited games and the only time I love my Wii is when my girlfriend is playing it half naked.

Though I don't play online anymore because like most WoW sucked me in....not so bad my life suffered but enough to where I didn't like where I was heading. So now its offline RPGs and online shooters like CS 1.6.

tlarkin

VIP Member
It is not the PCs, it is not the consoles, it isn't WoW, it is yourself. It is an addiction and no matter what it is up to you to fix it.

I used to play MMOs a long time ago when they first came out and was sucked in like the rest of you. I played for a few years, had some high level characters, but after a while it got boring, and it did not reward you at all for being skillfull. It just rewarded you for spending 20+ hours a week playing online.

I quit all MMOs and haven't touched one in many years, probably near 10 years since I quit playing them around 2001ish.

I still have a PC and I have my 360 and I play them both. I have played a lot of L4d2 lately. I mean a lot. However, I will take 4 or 5 days off from playing games in a row. Read book, go out for a beer with friends, go out for a bite to eat, catch a movie, and so forth.

If it bothers you that much you have the power to change it and you can still enjoy playing video games. You just need to learn to use moderation, just like every other addiction out there. Smoking cigarettes is horrible for you, but if you were to smoke say 10 cigs per a month it would not really hurt your health that much at all, especially compared to someone who is at a pack a day.

I am not suggesting you smoke or anything, I am just simply saying most things in moderation are OK to do.

HumanMage

I spent a lot of time on WoW when I was in high school. I don't regret any of the four years I spent with that game. In fact I am anxiously awaiting Star Wars: The Old Republic so I can do the same thing. But, as tlarkin has said, moderation is key.

Since I've been in college I've made a bunch of friends on the football team and we hang out regularly. However, I'm the type of guy who is just as happy staying in for a night or two playing a game hardcore instead of chasing women around. I'm counting the days until I graduate, hopefully find a decent paying job that allows me to "nerd it up" for a few straight weekends...Those will be the days.

g4m3rof1337

I spent a lot of time on WoW when I was in high school. I don't regret any of the four years I spent with that game. In fact I am anxiously awaiting Star Wars: The Old Republic so I can do the same thing. But, as tlarkin has said, moderation is key.

Since I've been in college I've made a bunch of friends on the football team and we hang out regularly. However, I'm the type of guy who is just as happy staying in for a night or two playing a game hardcore instead of chasing women around. I'm counting the days until I graduate, hopefully find a decent paying job that allows me to "nerd it up" for a few straight weekends...Those will be the days.

I can totally see that. I'm fine with staying in gaming, or going out with friends. But it's bull when people say you could be out at the gym or working on other hobbies rather than playing WoW. I balance a lot of stuff, and play WoW, so it's the person's fault if they become addicted to it and mess up their life.

Drenlin

Lazy guy+computer problems= new console gamer.
computer guy+ computer problems= 5min of fixing and back to gaming. Only reason i have a console is because I got my 360 when they first came out, I can't stand playing mw2 on there its so blurry even on 1080i.

Not always true. It's not always a matter of being lazy. Some people just don't feel it's worth it to spend tons of money, waste time screwing with settings and drivers, and jump through all kinds of hoops to make the game work, when they can buy one system for ~$400 that won't require any upgrades, pop the games in and be done with it.

FairDoos

Fail.

Good luck with the xbox scene i swappped from xbox to PC as PC is better than anything for gaming.

To be quite honest though you wernt really taking yourself to the max of PC gaming you were just playing WoW.

This thread should be called "I turned away from WoW because it got boring"

g4m3rof1337

True. And think of it this way, you got so addicted to something, you had to consult a help site. Be glad it was just a WoW addiction. WoW gamers get a bad rep, kind of like pot smokers. I don't smoke pot, and last time I researched it, it wasn't that bad for you, just like WoW. But when you tell someone you play WoW or smoke pot, they frown upon you.

rivend

There are some games that almost become your second idenity. I was there i know what its like. But for myself i never got as good as some that i knew.Take some time off bro and find where or what direction you need to go. As for the controllers in playstation and xbox my opinion is a gamer does better with a mouse and keyboard. Good luck. Peace!!

Core2Deano

Fail.

Good luck with the xbox scene i swappped from xbox to PC as PC is better than anything for gaming.

To be quite honest though you wernt really taking yourself to the max of PC gaming you were just playing WoW.

Thanks for your input. To be quite honest though I played alot of Wolfenstein, Call of Duty and Fallout as well as Crysis to put my computer through it's paces and monitoring FPS. I spent a few weeks pay on 5.1 surround for supporting games as well as spending many nail-biting moments overclocking Mh by Mh. Thats why I called it turning away from PC gaming.

Thanks for your concern anyway.

Core2Deano

Hmm, a trend is forming that people think I was addicted. I think I got bored because I wasn't addicted and didn't reap end-game rewards. Just a thought I saw WoW as more of a comfort measure. Doing great without playing it. Such a fail game in retrospec.