I wanna upgrade RAM, need some proffesional help!

power

Hey,

I am currently in mid of a upgrade, and would like some proffesional advice.

Well, I have a old PC, I don't use much of the time, and would like to upgrade its ram card, it's currently running a 2,66 Intel P4 CPU, with a 512 MB RAM DDR, 266 MHz CL 2.5 card.

What I need to know is, what's the maxiumum MHz ram card I can use?

brinky2006

The speed that you can upgrade to is usually whatever is supported by the motherboard. If you do not know this information, it would probably be best to buy an identical stick of what you already have to put into a spare slot, taking you from 512MB to 1GB.

Adam

power

How can I gain this information, is there any way?

EDIT: I am referring, how can I know what Motherboard I am running on?

bluedishwasher

download this program and when it has analysed your system it will give you your Motherboard name and ID, then post up what motherboard you have

power

--------[ Motherboard ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 09/23/2003-i845G-W627-6A69VM4WC-00
Motherboard Name MSI MS-6577

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz
Bandwidth 4266 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 2133 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Motherboard Manufacturer:
Company Name Micro-Star International
Product Information http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_list.php
BIOS Download http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_list.php

StrangleHold

Staff member
Think it has 2 slots and can read up to 1gb. Some older boards if you had two slots and a 1gb limit you had to run two 512mb sticks instead of one 1gb stick. You need to look in it to see if your running two 256s or one 512 stick to know what to buy.

chupacabra

Think it has 2 slots and can read up to 1gb. Some older boards if you had two slots and a 1gb limit you had to run two 512mb sticks instead of one 1gb stick. You need to look in it to see if your running two 256s or one 512 stick to know what to buy.

Yea it has 2 slots and it can support 1gb max of PC2100/PC1600

power

I am running a 512 MB RAM card, so I can't put two 1 gb sticks? I gotta have it like 512x2, right?

Would it work for me to use a 1GB stick, with my current 512 MB RAM one?

And can someone post some specs for a 1GB stick, that would work with my system??

According to Crucial, I can have upto 2gb of RAM (1gbx2)

Last edited:

chupacabra

I am running a 512 MB RAM card, so I can't put two 1 gb sticks? I gotta have it like 512x2, right?

Would it work for me to use a 1GB stick, with my current 512 MB RAM one?

And can someone post some specs for a 1GB stick, that would work with my system??

According to Crucial, I can have upto 2gb of RAM (1gbx2)

The computer being that old, i doubt it i think crucial fails sometimes, is this your motherboard?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07843