I Want to Change My RAM

SevSaint

I have been messing around with the software end of computers for some time now, but have yet to jump in on the inside.
My 1gig ram does not serve me well with my all consuming vista OS, so i need to get more.
I have been told that i can add up to 4 gigs but will have to take out the ram i have and replace it with a 4 gig sticks.

I have a dell Dim E520 with factory settings. Nothing ever been touched.
Anyone point me in the right direction on wheres a good place to get affordable ram chips and how to identify what ram is compatible with my system?
And anyone show me what ram looks like sitting in a computer so that when i go to chance it i dont mess my system up. And how easy is it?
I was told is just a basic take one out and put the rest in and turn it back on.

schw32m

DDR2 533 or DDR2 667

Probably wouldn't go wrong with Kingston.. Inexpensive and reliable. I've never had problems with it in all the years I've used it.

Here is the PDF for that system board. Shows you all the details on how to work on that system.

ganzey

banned
changing ram is fairly easy, all you do is push the button thingys on both sides of the stick and it pops out, then push in the new one. i looked at ur pc on dells website and it doesnt look like any components are in the way.

Last edited:

ganzey

banned
if your pc starts up and runs fine, then the ram is good. if its bad it will either not start up, randomly reset, or you will get the bsod a lot. ram isnt usually bad, but if it is, just return it.

2048Megabytes

Might I also add a word of caution about handling RAM modules. They are electro static sensitive components. Electro Static Discharge can cause two types of damage in an electronic component: catastrophic failure and or upset failure. Catastrophic failure destroys a component beyond use. An upset failure damages the component so that is does not perform well even though it may function to some degree.

At the very least, you should touch the bare, unpainted metal of your computer case frame before handling any computer components to prevent damage to any parts in your computer.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Might I also add a word of caution about handling RAM modules. They are electro static sensitive components. Electro Static Discharge can cause two types of damage in an electronic component: catastrophic failure and or upset failure. Catastrophic failure destroys a component beyond use. An upset failure damages the component so that is does not perform well even though it may function to some degree..

Where did you read that from? Sounds like you got it from a NASA manual for a Shuttle launch.

At the very least, you should touch the bare, unpainted metal of your computer case frame before handling any computer components to prevent damage to any parts in your computer.

Think thats all he needed to know.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Use an anti-static wrist band, or change them barefoot on wood or concrete (maybe on your basement?). Once you change them, turn on your PC, if it starts up normally, you did it right. To check once you're in Windows (assuming you're using Windows) press [Windows Key + Pause], a window will pop up and you can check if the amount of RAM is good.

Might I also add a word of caution about handling RAM modules. They are electro static sensitive components. Electro Static Discharge can cause two types of damage in an electronic component: catastrophic failure and or upset failure. Catastrophic failure destroys a component beyond use. An upset failure damages the component so that is does not perform well even though it may function to some degree.

PC_eye?

Last edited:

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Oh come now, most of the information I give is useful. I don't make up things about technology I don't understand. That is the reason why he got banned from these forums isn't it?

Yeah, I'm just messing with ya :D

Your post reminded me of his, except yours was shorter and more efficient, lol

I always referred to it as, it just dont work anymore or its just kinda screwed up.:p

That's a serious philosophy right there! lol

Last edited:

SevSaint

Quick question.
Found kingston at walmart ddr2 for 30bucks 1gig.
Do i need to take out the factory RAM i currently have in my system and add 2 1gig sticks. Or can i leave what i have in and just add one stick.
The kingston has mhz requirements i am assuming that is what was listed on reply number 2 is the correct one for my system. Am i correct?

2048Megabytes

If you have Windows Vista, 1.5 gigabytes of RAM is needed in order for the computer to perform well. The specifications I looked up on the Dell Dimension E520 say that your computer has two 512 sticks of RAM in it. DDR2 667 (PC2-5300) 240-pin RAM up to 1 gigabyte per slot is what your system will take.

I would just say buy one 1 gigabyte stick of RAM because your motherboard has four slots for RAM. You most likely will not have to remove any of the RAM already in your computer because there are four slots.

You could buy the RAM from NewEgg.com for a little less than Wal-Mart. With shipping it would probably be around $28.

Take a look at this:

SUPER TALENT 1 gigabyte 240-Pin DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=DDR2_667_240-pin_1gb-_-20-609-085-_-Product

schw32m

Quick question.
Found kingston at walmart ddr2 for 30bucks 1gig.
Do i need to take out the factory RAM i currently have in my system and add 2 1gig sticks. Or can i leave what i have in and just add one stick.
The kingston has mhz requirements i am assuming that is what was listed on reply number 2 is the correct one for my system. Am i correct?

From the system manual:

533-MHz and 667-MHz dual DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM

DDR2 memory modules should be installed in pairs of matched memory size, speed, and technology. If the
DDR2 memory modules are not installed in matched pairs, the computer will continue to operate, but
with a slight reduction in performance. See the label on the module to determine the module’s capacity.

NOTE: Always install DDR2 memory modules in the order indicated on the system board.

The recommended memory configurations are:
– A pair of matched memory modules installed in DIMM connectors 1 and 2
or
– A pair of matched memory modules installed in DIMM connectors 1 and 2 and another matched
pair installed in DIMM connectors 3 and 4
NOTICE: Do not install ECC or buffered memory modules. Only unbuffered, non-ECC memory is supported.
• If you install mixed pairs of DDR2 533-MHz and DDR2 667-MHz memory, the modules function at
the slowest speed installed.
• Be sure to install a single memory module in DIMM connector 1, the connector closest to the
processor, before you install modules in the other connectors.

I don't remember what the current memory configuration is, whether it is a single 1gb stick or if you have 2 512's But if you want to mix and match you have to do it in the manner described above. In other words, the system board will support one stick in DIMM1 after that all the configurations have to be in matched pairs of 2 or 4 sticks.

Last edited:

SevSaint

Okay one more question and thanks for the input and guidance. Where can i locate the factory ram to remove it. Its not in the 4 slots that i place the new RAM in. It doesn't really say how i remove the factory RAM at all. It only tells me how to remove installed RAM on the clips. And i don't want to install and buy 2 gig ddr2s for slot 1 and 3 and end up only getting the 1 gig or 2 gig worth of ram out of my system...
Buying 1 gig stick and placing it in slot 1 will increase my mem to 2 gigs?
It says something about non compatible sticks but is that for new sticks only or the entire ram setup all together?

starlitjoker

easiest way is to go to crucial.com and find your computer, it tells you what ram to buy. And 1 gb on vista? how is that possible? i have 4 gigs and vista is consuming 1.4 of it all the TIME!!! AGH!