I want to make networking in home

xkgb31

I subscribed to DSL internet connection. But, the DSL modem only have 1 LAN port to the computer.

There are 3 laptops & 1 desktop in my home:
- 1st laptop has 1 RJ-45 port & Wifi and use Windows Vista Home Premium
- 2nd laptop has 1 RJ-45 port & Wifi and use Windows XP Proffesional SP2
- 3rd laptop has 1 RJ-45 port and use Windows XP Proffesional SP1
- The desktop has 2 LAN Cards and use Windows XP Proffesional SP2

I bought Belkin Wireless G Router (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=136493). The Router also have 4 RJ-45 ports. Then, I make the connection like this:
Code:
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
--- > 3rd Laptop & desktop (via LAN cable / RJ-45 port)
|
|
Router <--- DSL Modem <-- internet
|
|
---> 1st & 2nd Laptop (via Wifi)[/FONT]

Now all the laptops & desktop could be connected to the internet, so does the Remote Desktop function (except in the 3rd laptop, I don't know why).

My question is: Can I also make LAN without buying switch/hub? I mean. like file-sharing, printer-sharing, LAN games, etc?

Sorry if there is such question before & sorry about my english :p

Last edited:

axgrinder73

Sounds to me like you already have a LAN. If all of the PCs are connecting to the internet, then they should all be able to connect to each other.

All you need to do is join them all to the same workgroup, then set up which items on each PC that you want to share (files, printers, etc.)

xkgb31

Sounds to me like you already have a LAN. If all of the PCs are connecting to the internet, then they should all be able to connect to each other.

All you need to do is join them all to the same workgroup, then set up which items on each PC that you want to share (files, printers, etc.)

It's should work, but I don't see any computer in "My Network Place".

axgrinder73

Yes, it is ok to have a workgroup name that is different than your SSID.

Try turning off any firewalls that might be running on you computers and try again.

Let us know what you find.

hNic

is File and Print Sharing enabled?

is Allow Users To Connect Remotely To This Machine enabled?