i5-750 idling temps

NVX_185

Ok, so when I first got this CPU, I didn't use solvents/liquids to remove the pre-applied thermal paste, and just cleaned with a credit card & lint-free cloth, and applied Arctic Silver 5.

Temps idled at 49-50C.

About a month later, I re-applied thermal paste again, this time thoroughly using ArctiClean (1 & 2), and my idle temps were basically the same, 48-50C. Here I applied too much, the stupid AS5 tube spurts out large blobs unexpectedly.

I didn't touch the CPU for another 7 months till today, when I again for the 3rd time re-applied AS5 using ArctiClean solvents thoroughly. 2-4C improvement. Now my temps at idle read:

Core1: 46C
Core2: 40C
Core3: 47C
Core4: 40C

I am using the stock-cooler.
1. Are these temperatures too high, would have running them at 45-50C for 8 months now done permanent damage?
2. If not too high, are these temps still safe to run at?

Thank you!!

Last edited:

salvage-this

Well I did a bit of reading and it looks like the max safe temp is around 72c. So it looks like you are good for now. Running your cpu at those temps should not hurt the processor at all but if you wanted to get a new cooler that might make you feel better :D

NVX_185

Yes, I would like to buy a new cooler although the price sets me back (AU$50 for a good quality 1156-socket cooler), and I'm buying a new case, so no cash...

On 100% load however, the temperatures reached the mid 70's C before I aborted the prime95 test. Stock Intel cooling is C-R-A-P.

I was a little worried with my current temps because on reviews, they say they idle at 40C with the stock-cooler. Whereas I am 6-8C more.

salvage-this

Yeah 70s under load is a bit scary.

Are you going to be overclocking when you get a new cooler? If you are not then I don't think that a good cooler should cost you that much.

If you are feeling up to it you could lap the heatsink to see if that makes for a better contact to your i5.

For now I would just watch the load that you are putting on the processor and up the fan speed on your heatsink. I think you can do that in the bios. Lower the temperature threshold or something to that effect.

awildgoose

I have this CPU and those temps were what I got using the stock cooler.
Intel usually like to, or at least did(as in not sure now but why would they stop), make their cpus be able to go up to 100c, which is actually what I did.
On Prime95 on a 3.6 overclock it went up to 99c after a while, crashed and when it came back everything is fine and that was months ago and my cpu is still kicking.

Got me a Cooler Master tx3 cooler for christmas for $30 so that could be a good idea for you, my temps are averaging 35-40c while playing Crysis at a 3.2 clock so it would be good for you.

Hsv_Man

Please note AS5 takes time to run in so if you are seeing high temps after you just apply the paste on a few heat cycles you will gradually see the idle temps come down and over a few months it will be stable temps (AS5 is recommended 1000 hours burn in time) although 48*c is a tad high my i7 all cores idles at < 40*c and its the middle of summer over here.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Although those temps are fine,I would recommend buying a better cooler.

If you want to keep the price down,a good...but cheap cooler to consider would be a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2.

Theyre around £15 here in the UK and for the price they are good coolers.

NVX_185

Thanks guys, I just wanted to know whether running at those temps would be safe, at least for many more months until I allow myself to purchase a new cooler.

Could my case be (partially) accountable for these temperatures, which has poor ventilation (1x120mm exhaust, 1x80mm side intake)?

memory

I just built an i5 760 rig and using the stock cooler, the idle temps were around 29 degrees. I did not check it under load but while doing the basic stuff, the temps do rise pretty quickly.

You either have a defective cooler or something is not setup right. It should not be that high unless your room temps are higher than normal.

It should be fine as long as you are not using it under 100% load all the time.

87dtna

No, to have a 29c idle temp on a 760 with a stock cooler you obvioously have speedstep and Cstate/C1E enabled which lowers Vcore and the multiplier which will let you idle at ~1.6ghz and less than 1.0v. Maybe he doesn't. Those temps are perfectly normal, and also mid 70's is not ''scary''. The temp of 72c that intel gives is the CPU temp, not the core temp which is what we are seeing. CPU temps are typically 25-30c cooler than the core temperatures. Anything right up into the 90's celsius is perfectly safe but not recommended for extended periods of course.

If you plan to stay at stock clocks, there's nothing wrong with the stock cooler at all. If you plan to overclock, get a better cooler.

memory

I did not give that a thought, I will disable those and see how much of a difference it makes. Even so, I would still think that 50 is a bit on the high side for idle temps. My i7 920 idles at mid 30's, of course I have a better cooler than stock so I know it's not really a fair comparison.

87dtna

Yeah noctua D14 is one of the best, not even close to the same comparison.

I have a 750, it idles the same as his at stock on the stock cooler.

memory

I have it running at 2.8ghz now and it is idling in the mid 30's. I still think 50 is too high for idle.

87dtna

Some chips run cool, some run hot. 50 is pretty normal actually, yours runs exceptionally cool if you are on the stock cooler.

NVX_185

Well, after getting a new case, my CPU temps are much worse! They have increased by about 7-9C!

I am using CPUID Hardware Monitor for these temperatures. Does this software measure core or CPU temps?

Core1: 52C
Core2: 47C
Core3: 54C
Core4: 46C

I'm worried about these new idle temperatures.

The good thing is, on load, the maximum core temp never goes past about 65-67C. So far I have not used any applications which stress all cores to 100%, other than prime95, which once took the cores to about 75-76C, before I aborted it.