i7-930 cooler?

theBLACKout

can anyone recommend me an i7-930 cooler for under $30? i would prefer it to be around $20. Im not going to oc, is just that using the socket cooler, the idle core temp from cpuid is around 53C and i think it too hot.

Hsv_Man

the idle core temp from cpuid is around 53C and i think it too hot.

Your machine is running a bit hot depends on your location and the temperature and humidity where you are. Currently now in Australia its winter and i'm sitting
core #1 41*C
core #2 37*C
core #3 40*C
core #4 36*C
whole cpu 30*-31*C

i am just running the stock cpu with arctic silver 5 which i purchased with the computer and removed the intel thermal compound off the heatsink with some rubbing alcohol. If you wanted try some proper thermal paste such as AS5 put it on as it says to do so on the AS5 website reseat the processor and see what kind of diference it makes.

Hsv_Man

A weather website says its about 27*C in maryland sorry we talk in *Celsius here not much idea on *Fahrenheit which isn't too hot i think you may need to reseat your processor and buy some thermal paste to help cool your processor down. Or its possible your heatsink isn't clipped in properly with those clips intel supplies on their heatsinks.

theBLACKout

i used ocz freeze, maybe ill remount my cooler tonight. what temperature should i get? when im playing bioshock 2, the hightest core temperature i got is 78C

Hsv_Man

Wait a minute maybe cpuid has registered your TJ max to be 90* instead of the actual i7's TJ max of 100* try a temp monitoring program i use called realtemp load that up and see if the temps have dropped 10*C.

theBLACKout

no is not that, i also have evga e-leet tuning utility and it is reporting same temperature as cpuid. anyway, can i increase fan speed beside doing it in bios?

Hsv_Man

Just turn the profile of the fan speed off and that should run the fan at 100% at all times. You will hear the revs increase and when you get into your OS cpuid should say fan is running at 100% around 1800-1900 rpm on the stock i7 930 cooler.