IBM Thinkcenter wont stop using integrated graphics

Cams

So my work computer is a IMB Thinkcenter with a P4 and Windows XP. I installed my Nvidia 8400GS and a second monitor. I set the BIOS settings for dedicated video PCI as there is also an AGP option. when I first power up, the monitor displays from the 8400GS but as soon as the windows password screen appears it switches back to integrated graphics. Any ideas??

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you ising a PCI video card or an AGP? If AGP then you need to change the video to AGP instead of PCI. When you login does the screen go black? How do you know its using the onboard video after you login?

Cams

One monitor is plugged into integrated graphics while the other is plugged into my PCI card. The monitor plugged into the card goes black and the monitor plugged into the integrated graphics turns on with the windows password screen. I have the BIOS set to PCI not AGP. I tried not having the monitor hooked up to the integrated graphics and hooking both monitors to my card but the screen went blank and thats when I found out it was switching back to integrated.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Have you actually gone to the display settings under Windows and enabled the second monitor? It could be that Windows is still set to only use the monitor on the integrated (i.e. single-monitor settings), so as soon as the GUI is loaded these pre-dual-monitors settings take place.