ICS & File sharing

p4r4s1t3

OK, i've two computers linked together with a crossover cable, and i've tried endless times to set up file sharing.

At one point I had it, upstairs could access downstairs and vice versa.

BUT then I transferred some files into the shared folder, and afterwards it wouldnt work. Here is the error message:

error.jpg

Both computers recognise eachother as i've played with ping tool in command prompt.

Any ideas how to sort it out? A network (MSHome) is established and both computers are listed, however when I try to access either one I just get (basically) access denied.

Part 2, ICS, Internet Connection Sharing.

Basically I don't have a clue how to set this up, so any helpp whatsoever will come in extremely useful.

EDIT - Took a screenshot of some feedback I get when trying to setup ICS:

error3.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Ant.

Last edited:

p4r4s1t3

Okay, i've resolved the file sharing issue, now it's just ICS.

I've run the wizards but to no avail.

It says that it's set up, but every time I run Internet Explorer upstairs it just gives "Page cannot be displayed."

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
Unshare the connection, then restart the host computer. Whens its done, run the wizard again. Also, did you run the wizard on both computers?

tobys550

I spent hours the other day trying to sort the same thing. I found out i was selecting the wrong option from the wizard!!! on the computer that you have the modem on, using the wizard select"this computer connects directly to the internet, the other computers on the network connect to the internet through this computer". On the client computer that is sharing the connection select "this computer connects directly or through a network hub, other computers on the network also connect directly or through a hub".

Make sure you have also selected the internet sharing option.

Doing this solved all my problems. Hope that helps.