IDE to USB Adapter Doesn't Work!?! Please Help!

ryevick

I am really frustrated. I have around 6 or 7 hard drives that I've accumulated from older desktop PCs I've had; I now have my new ASUS G73 laptop (sweet), I don't have a desktop computer at this time. I want to access the data on these drives and have tried 2 or 3 different IDE to USB adapters and they all do the same thing... I plug them in the USB port on my laptop (I've tried this on my new laptop and my older Acer laptop) and it detects the device... or at least starts to and then it gives that audible error that the device wasn't installed. I can open a desktop PC and plug these drives into the ribbon cable and they work fine! What the heck?!?!?! Please help... I don't know what to do.

ElenaP

Check that the jumpers on the drives are set to Master (or Single on some drives). This is a requirement with certain USB-to-IDE adapters.

If you have some sort of USB hub, get rid of it and plug the USB cable directly to the laptop port.

ganzey

banned
Do the IDE to USB adapters work on the desktop?

I am really frustrated. I have around 6 or 7 hard drives that I've accumulated from older desktop PCs I've had; I now have my new ASUS G73 laptop (sweet), I don't have a desktop computer at this time. I want to access the data on these drives and have tried 2 or 3 different IDE to USB adapters and they all do the same thing... I plug them in the USB port on my laptop (I've tried this on my new laptop and my older Acer laptop) and it detects the device... or at least starts to and then it gives that audible error that the device wasn't installed. I can open a desktop PC and plug these drives into the ribbon cable and they work fine! What the heck?!?!?! Please help... I don't know what to do.
now im confused