IE problem

cnealey

So I've got a problem none of my more computer savvy friends are able to solve. My internet explorer address bar has picked up a few URL's that only show up if i begin to type them. If I clear my history and cookies they still show up. However, clicking the arrow doesn't reveal them. I've spent far too much time searching for some registry file or text file that must contain them but I don't seem to be coming across it. It's not causing any problems, its just getting kind of annoying and... well... little things bug me sometimes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Trizoy

VIP Member
try an add aware removal tool? I would think it was a 3rd party program.. You removed the cookies and history? And removed all auto complete?

cnealey

trizoy - i have several ad removal tools and i use them frequently. i tried them here and they didn't work.

praetor - your suggestion didn't do the trick either. i still get the same thing.

thank you both for your advise though. anyone else got any ideas?

Pride

I have the same problem, cnealy. And, the autocomplete didn't work on mine, as well. I have tried the same process as you did. I have cleared my cookies, temporary internet files & history.

I have emailed Microsoft about it, but as of now no response. I've ran my Anti-spyware and virus scan, and yet nothing.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Pride

Ok, I got the cure. Praetor was right, when clearing the Autocomplete. When you get to the Autocomplete, make sure that "web addresses" isn't checked. Then click OK. Then clear your history, cookies and temp internet files. After that, load up IE again, and see if they appear.

tweaker

VIP Member
Theres no need to delete cookies & history though, just clear autocomplete, or if you wish, untick web adresses so it won't collect new ones in the future. :)

Pride

True, cookies & history weren't really needed to be cleared. I just happen to clear mine on a routine basis.