IGN's take on Call of Duty Franchise.

Machin3

I stumbled upon this article today which expresses IGN's view on Call Of Duty, Now normally I don't like IGN because they are biased in their choice of games and reviews but this time around, I couldn't agree more with what they are expressing in their article.

Any thought's? Feel free to share!

http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1217539p1.html

Here's a great little quote from the article:
Slaughtering civilians in an airport, blowing up a little girl, and setting New York City under terrorist siege aren't the moving scenes their developers intended. This is emotionally exploitative junk that tries to disgust the audience into submission rather than make them consider consequences. The imagery is horrifying, but it doesn't carry actual value. This is meaningless shock without awe undermined by the assaulting, desensitizing violence of Call of Duty's campaign.

xxmorpheus

cod is garbage. 5 year old game engine, check. on rails campaign from 2005, check. Same peer to peer connection from 1999, check. Broken online elite service, check. What they are doing is driving the franchise into the ground with an assault of crappy sequels. See guitar hero and tony hawk. Theyve been using the same business model for years, because it generates quick revenue. Now black ops 2 is coming out....

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
It got old after Modern Warfare 2. I bought Black Ops for the 360 but just got so tired of getting my ass kicked at multilayer that I gave up on the series altogether.

Troncoso

VIP Member
This article must be written by completely different people who always give COD games at least a 9.

Masterfulks

COD sells. What motivation do they have to change?

It will take sales to slip a noticeable amount before they change. If you look at it from a business perspective, then change is risky. They are likely thinking that people are eating up what they are given on a yearly basis. Just keep churning out games and people will buy them because their friends by them.

Which is another part of the problem. It's not just you who has to skip on the next one, it's all your friends. If a couple of them cave in and buy it, then you'll be left out when they are playing it and you are still playing MW2.

One of the best things in that article is the picture that says "what game is this from". I couldn't say. I'd guess MW2, but I don't know as I skipped MW2.

claptonman

I like CoD on occasion. Hell, all I did was play Blops with my roommate on his xbox. (If you don't have the map packs, you get all new players. Its too fun slaughtering them.) But they killed it for me for the lack of support for PC players. Blops was unplayable at low settings for a number of people with >$1000 machines for the first few months, and they basically said they don't care about the community. That's why I switched to battlefield.

COD sells. What motivation do they have to change?

It will take sales to slip a noticeable amount before they change. If you look at it from a business perspective, then change is risky. They are likely thinking that people are eating up what they are given on a yearly basis. Just keep churning out games and people will buy them because their friends by them.

Which is another part of the problem. It's not just you who has to skip on the next one, it's all your friends. If a couple of them cave in and buy it, then you'll be left out when they are playing it and you are still playing MW2.

One of the best things in that article is the picture that says "what game is this from". I couldn't say. I'd guess MW2, but I don't know as I skipped MW2.

That's what they thought about guitar hero...

And it's from MW2, the hotel map. I like that map.

Gooberman

The only reason i got mw3 for xbox was so i could play with my friends, if no friends are online i find it hard to play alone lol.

Machin3

Clapton- I like CoD too but more of the original series like 1, 2, and 4. After 4, developers starting seeing that people like changing weapons, killstreaks, perks, and what not and its just over kill.

Realistically, CoD is very unrealistical :D. If you look at Bad Company 2, that's a good game because there's no kill streaks or perks. Just weapons and attachments. Plus, the game actually is built on a good engine and looks like a realistic game with destructible scenery and buildings. I DON'T understand how CoD does not include that in their games. It's not like the levels are huge and it would take up a lot of storage to create it.

Masterfulks

At a minimum destructible environments is the next logical step.

I'd like to see a random level generator. That would take away the advantage of memorizing ever corner of the map. Every online game would be a somewhat new experience.

Gary1

I bought Medal of Honor thinking it was better than Black ops. After playing both games I am sorry I bought Black Ops!