Im going to get the ATI R600, but i hear of a R700.

Motokid250r

Im going to get an ATI R600 GPU when it comes out at the end of january. Although i here of a R700 model coming out in the near future ( Probly summer or fall ). Im going to have a ASUS Striker Extreme SLI nForce 680i Mother Board in my new pc. Since im getting the R600 will i have to replace it with the R700 (once it comes out ) or can i just add it next to my R600 and link them? ummm, i think its called Crossfire? or SLI ? idk...anyway simply put. will i be able to have an R600 and R700 in my comp and have them interlink ( or what ever its called ) to double my GPU performance?

Motokid250r

thats true, ok let me refrase the question. can u inter-link ( yet again i dont know the term for it ) how does this whole interlink thing work to double your gpu performance? U cant jus have 2 differnt cards and do this? im very confused about the concept. please help!

Geoff

VIP Member
You should be able to, but why would you want to? It would lower the R700 down to the R600 speeds.

Motokid250r

So your saything theres no point in interlinking 2 differnt versions of a graphics card? becuse it would just lower the newer versions to the lower versions speed? that sucks...is there anyway to just have the newer version card just add to the performance of the older one with out having to match it first? becuse this crushes my plans...

kof2000

buy another r600 :) problem solved :)

when you pair cards it is not always good because some games will suffer lower framrates than a single card. this is how it was with sli but you'll never know if crossfire follows the same path :)

kof2000

no, it just splits the load. one master one slave, then like when doing rendering each will do half the work :)

Motokid250r

buy another r600 :) problem solved :)

when you pair cards it is not always good because some games will suffer lower framrates than a single card. this is how it was with sli but you'll never know if crossfire follows the same path :)

Why would it do that ? that makes no sence...

mrjack

VIP Member
Why would it do that ? that makes no sence...

Especially older games don't have full support for SLI or Crossfire, old enough and the game might not support it at all. And if you force the use of SLI/Crossfire in a game that doesn't support it or hasn't been optimized for it, the performance might be less than what it would be when using a single card.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
You can't even sli/crossfire 2 different cards can you?
And you don't double your graphics power only like 60 or 80 percent.

no, it just splits the load. one master one slave, then like when doing rendering each will do half the work :)

Crossfire allows you to use any two crossfire-enabled cards, but they will only work at the same speeds, so the higher end card will be lowered down to the lowest cards specs.

And theoretically it should double performance, but it's not where near that. And in some games it wont make any difference at all, since some games dont support multi-GPU's.

heyman421

banned
i know with SLI (i don't own a SLI setup, but i've been reading about them) depending on the interface you use (alternating frames vs. split frames) it's a heavy GPU load just to split up the processing between the two cards.

But what you end up with is an effective 50/50 split of the processing load, which can theoretically help MORE than simply having a 2x faster card, especially with the split frames.

Speed is only part of what makes linked cards so great.

And you might not get a full 100% speed increase, but you SHOULD theoretically get much more STABLE frame rates with a much larger degree of on-screen fluctuation, since with the split-frame SLI setup, the split can actually change, and adjust horizontally, depending on where most of the on-screen action is happening.

So 60-80% increase in performance kinda sucks for an extra $500 card, but that 60-80% could realistically help MORE than a single card that's 100% faster.

Archangel

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];551840 said:
And in some games it wont make any difference at all, since some games dont support multi-GPU's.

Ok.. now i just have to ask.. what game doesnt support SLI?

Archangel

VIP Member
Rainbow Six Vegas currently doesn't support SLI, but they may release a patch that support SLI and crossfire in the future.

well... I can play it almost maxed out.. and you can't tell me a single 7800GTX would be able of doing that. =o

maroon1

well... I can play it almost maxed out.. and you can't tell me a single 7800GTX would be able of doing that. =o

I have friend of mine who have Pentium D 2.66GHz + 7600GT and he play it on 1024x768 on high setting without any problem. So, I think a single 7800GTX should run it on high setting without any problem.

These two websites says that this game doesn't support SLI
http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?...s&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=279&page=1
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2895&p=4

Archangel

VIP Member
well.. running it at 1280 x 1024, with 25fps.. I dont think thats possible for a single card wich was released 1,5 years before the game was released. (especially since the really good grafics) either way.. it updates itself automatically, so maybe with an update it supported SLI?.
anyway,.. i'll try running it with sli disabled.. see if it makes a difference