Increasing FPS in Games? :(((

zcbgameshark

To start, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum; I wasn't sure which one to put this thread in.

I'm using a Dell Laptop with 1.73 GHz and 1.5gig of ram. I know this is not great, but it should be sufficient. However, when I'm playing games like World of Warcraft, my FPS is almost always <5 in areas where there is at least some population. In 10 man raids or pvp, I have to restart my computer every hour to even be able to play. All my graphics settings are on the absolute minimum, my computer's graphics settings are adjusted for "Best Performance," and I frequently DiskDefrag and run spyware/virus scans.

I would REALLY appreciate any help, because I don't know what to do to fix this problem.

Thanks a lot,
zcb

99F

banned
Yeah but your RAM and CPU speed aren't everything.. Your video card is important for FPS too, and from the looks of it you have integrated gfx.

zcbgameshark

If by integrated gfx you mean the one that came with it, then yes, I do. :p
If not, then I don't know what that is. I regularly update my drivers, but I haven't upgraded the graphics card. Is there still a way to improve my performance without having to buy a new card and paying for the installation for a laptop?

99F

banned
If it came with it, then it's integrated. Doesn't matter what type.

ZCB, you could maybe do some "windows tweaking" (IMHO it's a load of crap) but not much besides getting a better video card.

xxxalpinexxx80

you cant really change the g card in a laptop : ( , what kind of processor you got? core 2 duo, celeron,m,pentium,amd?

this laptop has a 1.4 celeron 512m ram and a integrated intel gpu and it runs wow with no lag on whatever settings it is on.

i think your hardrive might have to much stuff or you have a virus

zcbgameshark

Thanks for the responses, guys.

My processor is an Intel Penium M 1.73GHz Processor, and my graphics card is a Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family. Also, my harddrive is using 65% of its 50.67GB capacity (18gig free), and I'm not sure what else to clean off of it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
get rid of all your overhead processes and have minimal software running in the background this will increase over all performance a bit, but a hardware upgrade would benefit more.

zcbgameshark

get rid of all your overhead processes and have minimal software running in the background this will increase over all performance a bit, but a hardware upgrade would benefit more.

All I run is WoW and Ventrilo (usually not even Vent). =/

I've also closed background processes that I don't know what they are, and I use a selective startup.

Dropkickmurphys

if it has been ok before, try reformatting. and make SURE nothing apart from the game is running.

thats prob the best you can do without buying a new pc.

Cleric7x9

you could try adding some more RAM. most laptops have integrated graphics which means the computers uses your CPU and RAM to process graphics. having a seperate graphics card has a deperate processor and memory. it might help, but your computer really just isnt built for gaming