Installing 2 OS on one machine, worth??

Trojan100

So, i currently have xp home edition desktop.

i was thinking of installing ubantu along with xp. so like having dual OS. (i already partition on HD)

but is it worth it?? i am afriad that it might slow down my processor, since 2 OS will be running.

any advice, plz?

lucasbytegenius

Two OS cannot run at the same time unless you're using an emulator.
Ubuntu should run perfectly fine. If you're not sure about it, download it and burn a CD, then insert it and install it using Wubi, which will give you an easy way to get rid of it.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yes, what you are referring to is dual-booting. You can only boot one OS at a time, unless you're running a virtual machine. It won't slow your machine down.

Okedokey

By the sound of your post, you are not that savy with computers. I would suggest you keep away from this or at least, back up everything, as you will probably naff your MBR>

wolfeking

banned
Break it down to step by step instructions that a 6 year old could follow.
(computer nerd method)
1. Go to http://www.ubuntu.com
2. click on download ubuntu (about 1/2 way down the page on the right hand side)
3. let the ISO download and write it to a CD when it is finished. (be sure to leave disk in drive)
4. Power down the computer.
5. boot to BIOS (F1 on my HP)
6. Set boot device to CD drive
7. save changes and boot.
8. when it boots it will give you two options. 1 is to try before you install, and the other is to install. choose to install
9. it will come to another screen with 3 options. install alongside current OS, Manually allocate space, or erase teh whole drive and use it. Choose install alongside.
10. Enter your user info when it ask you to, and be sure that all devices that are used on the computer is pluged in so that the drivers will install. Also be sure to test your keyboard when it ask you to, as sometimes it misidentifies your keyboard.
11. Let install finish
12. Log in with the info that you entered
13. Enjoy!

Computer challanged method
1. go to http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
2. scroll down a little. Middle of the page there is a sentance that says 'if your running windows", under that is a orange text that says ''ubunu windows installer''. click on it.
3. download will start.
4. once finished, and installed, it will restart.
5. when GRUB manager comes up, then choose ubuntu.
6. enter account info and try keyboard.
7. log in
8. Enjoy!

Okedokey

Break it down to step by step instructions that a 6 year old could follow.
(computer nerd method)
1. Go to http://www.ubuntu.com
2. click on download ubuntu (about 1/2 way down the page on the right hand side)
3. let the ISO download and write it to a CD when it is finished. (be sure to leave disk in drive)
4. Power down the computer.
5. boot to BIOS (F1 on my HP)
6. Set boot device to CD drive
7. save changes and boot.
8. when it boots it will give you two options. 1 is to try before you install, and the other is to install. choose to install
9. it will come to another screen with 3 options. install alongside current OS, Manually allocate space, or erase teh whole drive and use it. Choose install alongside.
10. Enter your user info when it ask you to, and be sure that all devices that are used on the computer is pluged in so that the drivers will install. Also be sure to test your keyboard when it ask you to, as sometimes it misidentifies your keyboard.
11. Let install finish
12. Log in with the info that you entered
13. Enjoy!

Computer challanged method
1. go to http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
2. scroll down a little. Middle of the page there is a sentance that says 'if your running windows", under that is a orange text that says ''ubunu windows installer''. click on it.
3. download will start.
4. once finished, and installed, it will restart.
5. when GRUB manager comes up, then choose ubuntu.
6. enter account info and try keyboard.
7. log in
8. Enjoy!

The OP is clearly not a computer literate user. This guide fails to do anything in regards to backing up his current system. This guide fails to indicated how to repair the MBR to include 2 OS options on boot and I very much doubt the OP realises how un-user friendly this OS can be. I DON'T want to start a discussion about the merits or otherwise of each OS, BUT, you don't simply recommend this option without outlining possible issues.

For one, are you sure all his hardware will work?
Will he need to understand command line instructions to get things to work?

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
The OP is clearly not a computer literate user. This guide fails to do anything in regards to backing up his current system. This guide fails to indicated how to repair the MBR to include 2 OS options on boot and I very much doubt the OP realises how un-user friendly this OS can be. I DON'T want to start a discussion about the merits or otherwise of each OS, BUT, you don't simply recommend this option without outlining possible issues.

...:rolleyes:... I was going to let this go until this post, then said screw it, so...where to begin...

>>as you will probably naff your MBR>

Umm...GRUB.

>>ok, this is going to be good!!! cant wait to see the issues that come from that advice.

Really? I always thought lucas gave pretty sound/reasonable info. Eh.

>>This guide fails to indicated how to repair the MBR to include 2 OS options on boot

Again...GRUB.

>>and I very much doubt the OP realises how un-user friendly this OS can be.

Umm...you *do* know this is Ubuntu, right? Ubuntu as in "so easy to switch to from Windows that if we made it any similar we'd probably have to pay Billy Boy royalties". *That* Ubuntu.

And now to stay on-topic... The OP should give it a shot if they want to. Wolf really couldn't have spelled it out any clearer, though my personal preference would be to add another disk drive and install to that one, just to avoid any random partitioning issues.

>>For one, are you sure all his hardware will work?

This isn't 4.04...it's 10.10.

>>Will he need to understand command line instructions to get things to work?

Again...the whole 4-4/10-10 thing. He's not going to be programming it to his liking, anything he needs can be done via point/click. The only way to screw up GRUB via a non-command line entry to edit is to delete the file (after you find it, which for a first-time user is next to impossible), and I highly doubt the OP makes a habit of randomly deleting files...

deanj20

Trojan100,

As stated above, you can only run one OS at a time, so no worries about eating your processing power.

I've ran a few multi-boot systems in the past, and it's a great way to learn a new OS while keeping your familiar, dependable OS in tact for general use.

However, I've found that the best way to learn a new OS is to install it on a separate computer. It's just more convenient. You can get an old desktop on Craigslist these days for $50 or less. Nothing fancy, but enough to learn on and tinker with. Hell, I've gotten a number of computers for free over the years just because people were going to throw them out.

By installing Ubuntu (ewww - I prefer Slackware - but Ubuntu is an excellent Linux distro to learn on), you don't have to partition the HDD and boot back-and-forth between two OSes. It is especially helpful if for some reason you can't get your internet connection going or X (your desktop manager) to start. And you don't have to be worried about botching your working system.

There are also a number of Live CD Linux distros out there. These allow you to boot Linux on your computer without having to install anything. I use Knoppix all the time for various reasons pertaining to computer repair and troubleshooting. SLAX is another good one, and there is an Ubuntu Live CD too.

Please feel free to post back with any questions, problems or concerns. That's what we're supposed to do here - help each other learn. Pay no mind to a few wise-asses. Good luck. :D

bigfella said:
By the sound of your post, you are not that savy with computers. I would suggest you keep away from this or at least, back up everything, as you will probably naff your MBR>
bigfella said:

Hrmmm... Could you be any more full of yourself? How else is the OP supposed to learn? wolfeking's advice was perfect for the OP. From that second post, I'm not sure YOU know anything about Ubuntu, or GRUB, or multi-booting OSes. Maybe you've botched an MBR before?

Great response to a newcomer asking a question - "you're not savvy enough - don't do it". :rolleyes:

Get over yourself. Do the site a favor - if you can't post anything helpful or interesting, don't post anything at all. :good:

Okedokey

There is nothing wrong with my posts whatsoever.

I wonder who will pay for the data recovery if it goes bad? Anyone?

No one has asked about what hardware he has (compatibility)? If it is simply ALL compatible, why is it necessary to have a list of what is (and more importantly not) on Ubuntu 10.10 forum? https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu There is plenty of examples of hardware that isn't compatible on Ubuntu's forum for 10.10.

Here is three i found in 5 secs
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-nettool/+question/141489
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/141488
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+question/141462

I mean seriously, the forum is FULL of hardware incompatiabilities.

No one has checked about backups?

My posts show conservative approach, rather than all balls in.

Keep it civil people.

The point is, the OP is clearly very much a beginner. Dual booting can be problematic at the best of times even with two Windows installs. And yes I'm experienced enough to know you don't just recommend this without proper investigation. I'll watch this carefully, and I wonder how many of you will be humble and stick around if it goes pear! As posted before, I'm not knocking Ubuntu. But when you guys are steering a newbie down this path without some proper questions first I think that is incompetent. This here: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+question/141498 is a classic example of what can happen.

TROJAN! READ THROUGH THE FORUM LISTED ABOVE and post your hardware there and get advice. Its not as straight forward as you may think. Period.

Btw Jeremy D, your GPU is massively bottlenecked by your CPU - just thought you would like to know.

Last edited:

deanj20

bigfella said:
Btw Jeremy D, your GPU is massively bottlenecked by your CPU - just thought you would like to know.
Thanks! :rolleyes:
(Boy, the smugness just doesn't stop with this guy does it?)
I wouldn't say "massively." Anyway, I install parts as I get them. Currently, next on the "to buy" list is a new HDD - I've got Win7 64 Ultimate running on an old Seagate Barracuda 7200 IDE drive. So that's the worst bottleneck in this system at this point in time. Whatever. It's a work in progress, and it runs good enough for what I do with it.

I started to reply paragraph-for-paragraph to the nonsense in your last post. But why bother? I don't feel like playing this game with you. And you so clearly know much more than anyone else on this forum. So you're the winner. :rolleyes:

Trojan100, I encourage you to give Ubuntu a shot. Hands-on is the best way to learn a new OS imho. Post back and let us know how we may help. If you would like, give us the make and model of your PC, and I will personally check to be sure no hardware compatibility issues exist before you install. I have run into very few hardware compatibility issues in the eight or so years I've been using Linux, but it does happen from time to time.

Let us know!

lucasbytegenius

Thanks! :rolleyes:
(Boy, the smugness just doesn't stop with this guy does it?)
I wouldn't say "massively." Anyway, I install parts as I get them. Currently, next on the "to buy" list is a new HDD - I've got Win7 64 Ultimate running on an old Seagate Barracuda 7200 IDE drive. So that's the worst bottleneck in this system at this point in time. Whatever. It's a work in progress, and it runs good enough for what I do with it.

I started to reply paragraph-for-paragraph to the nonsense in your last post. But why bother? I don't feel like playing this game with you. And you so clearly know much more than anyone else on this forum. So you're the winner. :rolleyes:

Trojan100, I encourage you to give Ubuntu a shot. Hands-on is the best way to learn a new OS imho. Post back and let us know how we may help. If you would like, give us the make and model of your PC, and I will personally check to be sure no hardware compatibility issues exist before you install. I have run into very few hardware compatibility issues in the eight or so years I've been using Linux, but it does happen from time to time.

Let us know!

lol, somehow he made VIP :p
Trojan100, I've installed Ubuntu on a total of 26 machines so far, and the only ones that had hardware incompatibilities were some junk that was 8-10 years old, and the only incompatibility with those was the standby function not working correctly. Just give Ubuntu a shot, it isn't bad. Try using Wubi to install it first if you're unsure.

Okedokey

Trojan100, I encourage you to give Ubuntu a shot. Hands-on is the best way to learn a new OS imho. Post back and let us know how we may help. If you would like, give us the make and model of your PC, and I will personally check to be sure no hardware compatibility issues exist before you install. !

Much better. Thanks for your help mate. I would have liked to have seen this post a page ago. Still, nothing about a backup regime, which concerns me.

This is encouraging but as Dean said in a previous post, to the OP try it on another machine. Otherwise, ensure you have a good backup.

lol, somehow he made VIP :p

I was made VIP for a reason, and I have given a lot to this forum. But honestly Im not suprised you made this comment as you have been caught before saying similar things: Pull your head in! - so please, keep it positive.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

I would tend to agree with bigfella here, without any background knowledge of the OP's hardware or level of experience, i would hesitate to recommend dual booting two OS's. I would be even more hesitant to recommend a full-fledged dual boot to a beginner, and would suggest that a beginner only try Wubi, as it is easily reversible.

lucasbytegenius

Much better. Thanks for your help mate. I would have liked to have seen this post a page ago. Still, nothing about a backup regime, which concerns me.

This is encouraging but as Dean said in a previous post, to the OP try it on another machine. Otherwise, ensure you have a good backup.

I was made VIP for a reason, and I have given a lot to this forum. But honestly Im not suprised you made this comment as you have been caught before saying similar things: Pull your head in! - so please, keep it positive.
???
Excuse me while I fail to see how those comments were similar.

Ah now I get it, you must be one of those people from CFS who didn't really like me to say the least, that's why you're questioning my advice so much. Gotcha figured out now.