Installing 2nd HDD - Compatible?

jetnine

Since I have to wait a week for my order to arrive, I would like to know now if this HDD is even going to work in my computer. I currently have a 2 year old 80GB Maxtor but I would like to install this 250GB Maxtor as a second drive.

Should I have both the HDD's as primary's, and CD/DVD drives as secondary? Or have both hard drives as masters or slaves? Does it matter?

My current HDD is set to cable select on primary and then I have my 2 CD/DVD drives on the secondary ribbon. What should I set the new drive to when I get it?

1 more thing: After it is installed, is everything PnP or do I have to configure things?

TheChef

You can set the new HD on slave on the same ribbon as the other HD. After you install it, it's plug and play.

suprasteve

use the 80 wire IDE though, it'll get much quicker speeds that way, it should be connected to the hard drive now so plug it in to the second plug there

jetnine

Thanks for your help. I have installed it as primary slave on the 80 wire IDE. I am formating it right now, its taking longer then I thought. Is NTFS the correct file system to use for my partitions?

I also want to know if the noise my computer is making is normal. It sounds like something is shaking, is this the hard drive? I didn't have any screws and it didn't come with any. According to the reviews of this HDD it should be very quiet.

jetnine

I have a problem... I copyed some of my movies from my old HDD to my new ones and now I can't access the folder they were in on my old HDD. I want to delete them from my old hard drive but when I go to it, it crashes windows explorer.