Installing Hard Drive?

easyrider003

I have a 500 gb internal hard drive that I would like add as an addition to my new Gateway FX computer. When I got the hard drive from newegg.com, it is just the hard drive. There are no cables or anything to actually wire it up. Do I have to order those separate. It is seagate brand. I have never installed a hard drive. It is a serial port not parallel. Don't think it would be that hard just wondering what I need to do about the wiring part of it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can go to any electronics store and buy a sata cable for it. You would also need 4 screws to attach it to the hdd cage, a computer store will have these as well. Does your power supply have a sata power cable?

easyrider003

not sure if it has the power supply cable. If not can I purchase one? The tower has two extra ports for installing a hard drive. I have not taken it apart yet to look at the inside of it. Thanks for your help

ElenaP

If you do not have an extra SATA (serial) power cable from your power supply, you can purchase the converter from the PATA (parallel) power cable to SATA, most likely available at the same place which sells SATA data cables.