Installing Ubuntu

Vamilvas

How do you install Ubuntu over a windows xp installation without using a cd or usb, I want to do a complete install not make a separate partition.
Thanks for any help

munkyeetr

You need to download an Ubuntu .iso image and burn it to disk or USB if you want to install OVER Windows. If you want to install it INSIDE windows you could try Wubi, but I have no advice on that as I've not tried it.

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member
I don't recommend it, I personally haven't done this but people I have talk to that run ubuntu in windows say's that a lot of windows crappy security features will have a massive effect on ubuntu. Get a disc and completely get rid of windows.

If you want you can go to ubuntu.com and request a free disc of ubuntu 10.04. They usually send with no questions asked but it can take some time to get there.

bkribbs

I don't recommend it, I personally haven't done this but people I have talk to that run ubuntu in windows say's that a lot of windows crappy security features will have a massive effect on ubuntu. Get a disc and completely get rid of windows.

If you want you can go to ubuntu.com and request a free disc of ubuntu 10.04. They usually send with no questions asked but it can take some time to get there.

Just d'l and burn.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Vamilvas

Wow thanks for all the quick replies, I'll just put it on a usb. One more question do you need a security program such as an AV for linux, if so which would you recommend?

DMGrier

VIP Member
Security feature like against viruses? There are no viruses out there for linux. Or are you talking about people hacking into your computer? It is extremely hard for people to be able to hack a through a Linux OS but if you want some firewall protection then go to applications>ubuntu software center. Then type in firewall in the search bar and use the one ubuntu provides, The software in the ubuntu software center is programs that are garunteed (by ubuntu) to work with your OS and makes install extremely easy, plus the fear of any viruses (none are known to exist) and hackers are go away due to the fact it is secure.

Finally remember that your OS interface for your desktop is 100% on you for how you make it look, you can leave it the way it is but you can also completely change how it looks and operates and it is easy to do.

Last edited:

bkribbs

Security feature like against viruses? There are no viruses out there for linux. Or are you talking about people hacking into your computer? It is extremely hard for people to be able to hack a through a Linux OS but if you want some firewall protection then go to applications>ubuntu software center. Then type in firewall in the search bar and use the one ubuntu provides, The software in the ubuntu software center is programs that are garunteed (by ubuntu) to work with your OS and makes install extremely easy, plus the fear of any viruses (none are known to exist) and hackers are go away due to the fact it is secure.

Finally remember that your OS interface for your desktop is 100% on you for how you make it look, you can leave it the way it is but you can also completely change how it looks and operates and it is easy to do.

I am sure there is some virus out there. They are more rare, but still existent.

EDIT- Also, make sure that your computer can boot from USB

tlarkin

VIP Member
There are zero known viruses in the wild for Unix or Linux. There are malware and social engineering attacks and maybe an exploit to run escalated code. However, a virus, by definition is a malicious computer file that self propagates itself across many different machines and networks.

The only one I know of is clamAV

http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/

DMGrier

VIP Member
I am sure there is some virus out there. They are more rare, but still existent.

EDIT- Also, make sure that your computer can boot from USB

From what I have been told on my Linux forums long ago (when using ubuntu hardy) that viruses are created by Linux users not for Linux users.

bkribbs

From what I have been told on my Linux forums long ago (when using ubuntu hardy) that viruses are created by Linux users not for Linux users.

There is no way that there isn't at least one virus for them. That's like saying there aren't viruses on macs. There are. They are reallllly rare. But they are there.

DMGrier

VIP Member
As far as I know I have not found a case of anyone claiming to have got a virus and it was legit. Sorry buddy. Plus even if there was some rare cases of it happening there would be some anti virus out there for us.

tlarkin

VIP Member
http://stason.org/TULARC/os/linux.virus.html

It can be done, but may not be. Either way, the OP doesn't need to worry about it.

That link is complete rubbish. First of all a virus is a self propagating program that payloads malicious code. Meaning it runs on it's own. There are zero known viruses in the wild for any *nix system.

I will give you proof of concept, malware, trojans and possible escalated code from things like web browsers. However, those are require user interaction of some sort and are not a virus. A virus acts on it's own.

Also that article you linked is from 1997 and gives zero information on that so-called virus. It was most likely a publicity stunt by McCaffee to sell more AV software.

bkribbs

That link is complete rubbish. First of all a virus is a self propagating program that payloads malicious code. Meaning it runs on it's own. There are zero known viruses in the wild for any *nix system.

I will give you proof of concept, malware, trojans and possible escalated code from things like web browsers. However, those are require user interaction of some sort and are not a virus. A virus acts on it's own.

Also that article you linked is from 1997 and gives zero information on that so-called virus. It was most likely a publicity stunt by McCaffee to sell more AV software.

OK, I give. I can't find another single article. And, I somehow missed the 1997 stamp on it.

DMGrier

VIP Member
OK, I give. I can't find another single article. And, I somehow missed the 1997 stamp on it.

You give up? Why was it so important for you to find a virus for Linux to begin with? Is it possible that MS Windows security sucks so bad that it is the only OS I know of that is popluar to get viruses (yes).

lucasbytegenius

You give up? Why was it so important for you to find a virus for Linux to begin with? Is it possible that MS Windows security sucks so bad that it is the only OS I know of that is popluar to get viruses (yes).
LOL, so true. Windows is a virus magnet.

As for the last time a Linux installation got a real virus, I read in an old firewall book for Linux that the last time Linux got a virus was back in 1995 or 96. There have been some Linux distro sites that also said the same thing, but I don't have any proof. There is the possibility of malware and user-activated stuff, but Linux distros just don't get viruses. This is also the reason Macs don't get viruses, because the Mac OS X is based on some unknown super-modified BSD-based Linux distro that Apple calls "Darwin".
You shouldn't be afraid of getting any viruses on a Linux distro, if my laptop was fast enough (400 MHz :angry:) I would run Ubuntu exclusively, since I use the laptop mainly for Web surfing and a little word processing.
Don't you guys say Xubuntu will run on my laptop ;), I don't like it and it is slow on this machine.