Installing VGA Aftermarket Cooler

The Chad

The fan on my 5870 has lost its bearings, I bought a Arctic Accelero Extreme Plus II to replace the cooler, but need some help installing it.

The manual isn't very clear as where to place all the VRAM and voltage regulator heatsinks. If I post a picture of the PCB would you guys be able to highlight/circle all the areas that require a heatsink?

This is my first time installing an aftermarket component, and wouldn't want to stuff it up.

Aastii

VIP Member
They go on the vram chips which are usually on both sides of the PCB surrounding the gpu. I am on my phone so can't get you pics until I am home butt if you want to post pics I'll highlight em unless someone gets there before I see it

Aastii

VIP Member
Thank you very much! Are those the only parts that need heatsinks applied to on this card?

To be honest, it isn't even totally necessary to have them on the voltage regulation components. I would put them on the VRAM but don't worry if for whatever reason they won't go on there. You don't need them anywhere else either no

The Chad

I'd prefer to to have everything cooled, just in case.

Are you sure those 4 chips above the voltage regulators you marked off in the pic don't need heatsinks?

Aastii

VIP Member
Yes possitive, the only heatsink you need are the on the VRAM and on the 4 chips to the right of the white sticker in the voltage regulator box. Those are the ones I am saying are not entirely necessary though

The Chad

Everything glued on and installed! Going to leave it overnight for the glue to cure before plugging it back in :)

Thanks very much Aastii for all your help!