Intel or AMD (That tired old question again)

christofudge

Hey guys,

At the moment I've got my brothers old computer which is starting to feel a little dated in terms of processing and RAM.

I'm sitting on a AMD Athlon II x2 250 @3GHz with 4GB RAM.

I'm debating on either simply moving up to a phenom x4, or whether to splash some cash on a new motherboard too. If I do end up getting a new motherboard, which do you guys think would be better for pretty heavy gaming (BF3 and the like) Intel or AMD?

I know the FX Series got a lot of stick, but taking price into consideration, what can I get from intel round about the same price as the FX 8350? Can I get anything at all? I'm new to intel and I've always been into AMD personally, so I need some help deciding!

Thanks guys :)

wolfeking

banned
You're comparing a GTO to a Lambo there.

AMD is like the GTO. It is fast in strait line and if it is not fast enough, then you just add a cam/carb/headers/N2O/port the heads, etc. The options are endless. In the case of the processor, that is good cooling and oveclock it.

Intel is the lambo. Is it faster stock, yes. Will it go round a corner? yes. But if it is not fast enough you are stuck paying out for a better processor (k series) and you will loose a bit of $$ there.

At the same price as the 8350 is the i5-3470. But you are better off picking up a 8320 and overclocking it. After all, its the same exact silicon as the 8350, just set at a lower multi from the factory. lso take into account that high end AMD motherboards are cheaper than Intel, which lets you put more $$ into your GPU than intel would, and a better GPU is always better in gaming.

christofudge

Ohhh, thanks :) the 8320 is about £25 cheaper too on amazon (England)

If I was going to overclock is their any kind of heatsink you would recommend?

Benny Boy

There are many that cool well. CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo is popular because it's really good for it's cost.

wolfeking

banned
Xigamitec (sp?) Dark Night II for sure. I would not touch another cooler master product with a 1000 meter pole. Not worth the money paid for them.

wolfeking

banned
Build quality, its not great, but good enough. The performance is what turns me off to them. The case just can't live up to its name in any way, and is not worth the $60 put into it. The 212EVO, I get the same temps with my stock intel cooler. Only reason I use it anymore is to have a quieter fan (anyone can tell you that a 120 has to move slower to move teh same air as a 92). CM fans, their quality is crap. the fan that came with the 212 lasted at most 3 months. had 4 of 10 case fans from them fail.
If you need a fan, I would suggest Corsair Air HSP fans. Really silent, moves a hell of a lot of air, and build quality is far better than coolermaster.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What motherboard do you currently have? Or do you have a store bought pc? In that case, would need a model number of pc you have.

christofudge

I've got an AM3 motherboard, that's why I said I may upgrade to a Phenom x4, but I'm not sure yet whether I want to do that or save up for a new motherboard and processor and go for the FX or an intel.

Darren

Staff member
My CM 212+ is a great cooler. Had no issues with it and it cools very well. Never break above 55 Celsius at a 4.0GHz OC starting from 3.2. Wolfe has a vendetta against CM due to bad experience in the past but all in all it's a decent cooler.

christofudge

I'll check it out next week when I get my money, thanks a lot guys!

Rather than make a new thread I'll just post it here, if I had an fx 8320 O.C. would one 140mm fan on the case be good enough? I'm guessing it wouldn't but I figured I'd check anyway

kdfresh09

no. if you are going to use an 8320 and over clock it then you will most deffinatly want to get a new heatsink for it. adding a 140mm case fan just wont do anything for the overclocked cpu. when you figure out your budget for the heatsink, we will be able to recomend whats best in that range. good luck and have fun

Caminokid

When it comes to cooling, I am a madman about that. Heatsinks...bigger the better. Fans, as many as you can get. Try to get the quietest ones you can get. I have heard some that sounded like a 747 taking off.

I am a big fan of AMD. Just like anything else in this world there is the haters of both. You go with what you like. No one can make that decision for you.