intel q6600 running slowly

rickh

I have a q6600 intel core 2 quad at 2.4ghz.

It seems to be really under performing whilst playing games. I did a 3dmark test and it actually crashes when it gets to the last test (cpu physics test).

The score in windows "experience index" is also 3.4. I don't know what it's supposed to be but that seems quite low really.

I've tried turning off speedstep in BIOS but that didn't help. I'm not sure what to try next or what could be wrong.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

spynoodle

I have a q6600 intel core 2 quad at 2.4ghz.

It seems to be really under performing whilst playing games. I did a 3dmark test and it actually crashes when it gets to the last test (cpu physics test).

The score in windows "experience index" is also 3.4. I don't know what it's supposed to be but that seems quite low really.

I've tried turning off speedstep in BIOS but that didn't help. I'm not sure what to try next or what could be wrong.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
If it's crashing, then you've got a CPU heat problem. It could be throttling in games, which would be dramatically slowing it down. Use a program like Speedfan to monitor your temps and tell us what they are:
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
If those temps are correct its running way too hot...check a programme called "Coretemp" and see what that says.

jarlmaster47

Go to MSconfig and go to startup tab.In that,uncheck all the process which are unnecessary.After it restart your pc.It will be fast.

sigh :( .... that will make startup lightning quick but wont do anything else to solve the problem he has currently. his temps are ridiculously high so his cpu is throttling in games, causing slowdowns and crashing. what he NEEDS to do is get a better cpu cooler like an h50 :D that will solve his problems AND allow him to overclock his cpu

rickh

Oh wow. Just had a look inside and it turns out my heatsink wasn't properly attached. gah.

Thanks for the help

Twist86

Ah np...let me guess your using the push pin cooler? Those can be a utter pain to put it + they can pop out.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
rickh whats your temps now?

Id highly recommend ditching the stock cooler,theyre crap... a good cheap upgrade would be Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler :)

rickh

yea i'm using the stock cooler. took me a while to get it in properly. It stays around 33c normally now and went up to about 45c. Not that i've done any proper testing.

I'll have a look at the fans. I don't really know how to overclock or anything though

87dtna

Those temps are good now. Everything back up to speed?

If you don't overclock, the stock cooler is fine. 45c is nothing, as you can see it took 90+ for anything bad to happen. You were actually most likely hitting over 100c under load for it to throttle back like that.

spynoodle

Those temps are good now. Everything back up to speed?

If you don't overclock, the stock cooler is fine. 45c is nothing, as you can see it took 90+ for anything bad to happen. You were actually most likely hitting over 100c under load for it to throttle back like that.
+1. The stock cooler isn't that good, but you have no reason to spend $30 on a new one if you don't want to overclock.