Internet Connection Woes

wildbill

OK, before I reinstalled Windows, I was running Firefox 6. My most visited sites, or any site for that matter loaded slow. Once in a while I get a Yahoo 404 error while getting redirected to their search page.

Reinstalled Windows, thinking I had some bogus file giving me crap (nothing showed up in Mal-Ware bytes). Running Chrome, and my connection is still laggy as heck. Click on get new posts on a forum I frequent, and this error comes up:

Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): Unable to resolve the server's DNS address.

Sometimes reloading the page works, sometimes it doesn't. Speedtest shows the connection speed I signed up for, I've reset my router countless times, ISP shows everything is good.

IDK what to do next. Please help!!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So you have a modem/router combo unit or separate units? If separate, reset each one. If you actually did a new install and not just a repair install then everything should be ok. I'm guessing its either a modem or isp issue.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do a hard reset on the modem/router as you may have dns poisoning. There should be a reset button on the back that you need to press for at least 10 seconds. If you had any special settings you will need to set it back up.

wildbill

Did the hard reset, waited until the yellow triangle disappeared, went to reply and the yellow triangle came back. So I ran the troubleshooter, and it said it mentioned a DNS connection error. Waited a few more seconds, then I got my connection back. Does it every time I unplug the modem to reset it, or do a hard reset.

GaryCantley

Are you wireless or wired?

Sounds like it could be the wireless card/ethernet port on your machine.

If w'less, try an ethernet cable.

If already on a cable, try adding a different ethernet port.

wildbill

I'm was thinking the same thing. But was hoping something more simple. Oh well, I got a LAN card on the shelf above me. I'll give it a shot. Oh and I did install the latest driver for it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How does the DNS become poisoned?? New one to me.

Through the router. I've had a couple users with DNS poisoning, nashr128 was one about a year ago or so. Look in your router setup to see if it lists your dns servers.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check your ipconfig, it will be your default gateway address. Or it should be labeled on the bottom or back of the router.

wildbill

I'm thinking it's something else. It does it while I'm listening to music especially, downloading a file, and on the net. I click the back button, a link, or open a new tab and all I get is some sort of garble. Sounds like someone is dragging the needle across the record kind of garble. But only for a few seconds.

Last edited: